Eldest Ferret you have worked

Hi Have a 6 year old hob whose been a cracking hunter,his teeth are browning a little and I think his sight is not as good as he nips ocaisionally when I go to pick him up first time,Then realises its me and is fine.What ages have people worked ferrets up until.

ive got a old polecat jill here which is either 7 or 8 :hmm: just can't remember exactly,she now has a wheeze as if she's been on 40 fags a day and has lumps and scars over her neck, head and muzzle from battles with rats and rabbit kicks,but i had her out on sun morning with me and she found and bolted about a 6 or seven,some of these the younger ferrets i have didnt find.

But like all good things she will not last forever and i will be suprised if she will be still here for next summer coming in,so the old girl will get a few mornings out a month from now until then as sometimes i think this is what keeps her going :)

Edited by gaz

Like Gaz, I have a wheezy eight year old but in my case it's a hob. Haven't worked him so far this season and probably won't as even though he always seems more sprightly than the younger ones a) he tires quickly now and B) I'd feel guilty if he keeled over when he could have been snoozing peacefully at home.

is it a wives tale that a jill ferret will live longer if they are bred from????

Not necessarily bred from but more chance of a longer life generally if bought out of season. They can develop aplastic anaemia if they never get bought out of season.