Bullhead Black And Brown

the black bullhead (Ameiurus melas) and the brown bullhead (Ameiurus nebulosus) anyone know of anywhere in the north of england where these fish reside? i heard some years back that they was some in a park or country park near rotheram or nottingham not sure i got taliking with some one years back at the NEC at birmingham at a angling show looked but cant find anything on them they are classed as a british species same as small mouth black bass cant find anything on them sure they will ahve disapeared by now as the us have pulled out of our airbases

i have found places down the south of the country for these elusive bullhead fish but so far nothing for the north of england

In wales they were the bain of our lives as kids, taking the worm before the trout. We called the Bumbulls or millers thumbs. My brother caught the biggest one I have ever seen spining one day, it must have measured 4inch plus. Trout used to feed on them quite often, especially in high coloured water. Funnily enough, I never caught or heard of a trout caught on one live baited and we tried often enough.

TC

• Like 1

Just had a look on google and the Bullheads you are talking about are not the same as the European bullhead (Cottus gobio). The fish you are talking about are a type of American catfish. Sorry wires crossed.

TC

• Like 1

yeah millers thumbs are not the ones im talking about, im talking about catfish types which i think were once sold as pets in the aquarium trade and probly released as owners no longer wanted them,coldwater species, this came up for a uk record K Clements, Lake Meadows, Billericay, Essex for the black bullhead caught many in spain near ginestar on a resevoir when fishing for bait for the ebro/ebre was wondering if they were any populations here in the north of england,we had pumpkinseed once in whessoe road pond in darlington in fact it held the uk record once over but the black/brown bullheads are what im really interested in.....yeah hot meat had many days getting them from our local beck as a kid along with loach the bullheads were what we called proper trout food !

• Like 1