Patterdale Pups Fighting

as you all know i had this last year with my lakies and nearly lost the dog pup with it..... for about 5 month they would just try and kill each other on sight... but ive stuck with em and now their fine 99% of the time the only time i have to watch em is round "gear" as they get so wound up they will fire into each other, ime glad i didnt head the advice of the masses on hear and get rid of one as i now have two smart keen as mustard dogs

Don't think their milk teeth will be doing much damage, :hmm: sounds like their just trying to boss each other around :chair:

Don't think you have "Killers!" on your hands ,just BOISTEROUS pups.. :laugh:

I.M.O.

:laugh: listen to his advice if you want dead pups! :whistling:

Do you Think if Pups are Up for "KILLING" each other at 7weeks you want to be KEEPING that attribute in ANY dog :hmm:

Just a Nightmare to kennel and have round other dogs down the Line...I.M.O.

.. sometimes! :laugh: but HAVE to kennel separately anyway!

Had a smart Black ,won one of the Biggest shows in U.K.,as a pup ,but as a pup a litter mate took a hold of his Face,before I could intervene,Blood was up........Any dog from that Day on ,went with in neck reach,BANG ! If Old Cyril Tyson was still around ,would vouch for that :yes:

Anyhow Dog never made it to 2yrs,Pts..plenty would have bred of him ! Me ! no time for that Type,later found out, his Grand sire OL' Dan was similiar,but well bred off,because he could Kill a Fox...some folk just don't mind the inconvienance and liability.

. What an absolute load of rubbish ,you should keep a King Charles or some other f. Y licker ,plenty of work and I mean plenty usually cools them down and wisen them up ,as for the pups ,thought they all did that ,always separated at 6 to 7 weeks ,best of luck with them

All pups will fight and try to dominate one another its a natural thing as in the wild only the fittest strongest most dominant cubs survive. Ive had pups bred out cool calm parents actually kill litter mates at 8 wks its nothing to do with being line bred its purely out of the fact these type of terriers are bred to never back down they are bred to work and dominate their game. Usually at 8 or so weeks they dont have the teeth to do damage but they usually all pick on one pup and thats where you'll lose them. If your giving some away you should do it now and it will also save on grub but if not just separate the trouble makers and you'll be grand. Ive also had pups out of a good working line bred bitch who is nothing but trouble in the kennel and i thought her pups would be maniacs but they were fairly well behaved for my pups. Also people are saying why would you want those troublesome dogs in your kennel and their being bloody naive and showing there greenness in the game. Pups need to have a certain vigour about them when there finding their feet with work they all temper down. Good dogmen wouldnt fault unruly well bred pups. I know i wouldnt. Good stockman ship has alot to play in it.

Edited by bull mcabe
  • Like 3

All pups will fight and try to dominate one another its a natural thing as in the wild only the fittest strongest most dominant cubs survive. Ive had pups bred out cool calm parents actually kill litter mates at 8 wks its nothing to do with being line bred its purely out of the fact these type of terriers are bred to never back down they are bred to work and dominate their game. Usually at 8 or so weeks they dont have the teeth to do damage but they usually all pick on one pup and thats where you'll lose them. If your giving some away you should do it now and it will also save on grub but if not just separate the trouble makers and you'll be grand. Ive also had pups out of a good working line bred bitch who is nothing but trouble in the kennel and i thought her pups would be maniacs but they were fairly well behaved for my pups. Also people are saying why would you want those troublesome dogs in your kennel and their being bloody naive and showing there greenness in the game. Pups need to have a certain vigour about them when there finding their feet with work they all temper down. Good dogmen wouldnt fault unruly well bred pups. I know i wouldnt. Good stockman ship has alot to play in it.

Spot on mate well said! But breeding to closely for to many generations and imo will end up with pups that are lacking something in the brain department :laugh: but as said plenty of work will calm most dogs down!

separate them now everyone on here saying they wont damage each other with their milk teeth are deluding themselves, the litter I got mine from had to be separated from very early nearly lost a couple of them from the damage done by their little non dangerous milk teeth.

Don't think their milk teeth will be doing much damage, :hmm: sounds like their just trying to boss each other around :chair:

I.M.O.

Do you Think if Pups are Up for "KILLING" each other at 7weeks you want to be KEEPING that attribute in ANY dog :hmm:

Had a smart Black ,won one of the Biggest shows in U.K.,as a pup ,but as a pup a litter mate took a hold of his Face,before I could intervene,Blood was up........Any dog from that Day on ,went with in neck reach,BANG ! If Old Cyril Tyson was still around ,would vouch for that :yes:

Anyhow Dog never made it to 2yrs,Pts..plenty would have bred of him ! Me ! no time for that Type,later found out, his Grand sire OL' Dan was similiar,but well bred off,because he could Kill a Fox...some folk just don't mind the inconvienance and liability.

. What an absolute load of rubbish ,you should keep a King Charles or some other f. Y licker ,plenty of work and I mean plenty usually cools them down and wisen them up ,as for the pups ,thought they all did that ,always separated at 6 to 7 weeks ,best of luck with them

Thats' me Told :icon_redface: My opinion,My choice .Won't Keep a Dog that wants to "Latch !" on to other Dogs.Royal pain in the ASS!

Not being Niave why Some, would Keep Dogs with that trait. I aint that Green .That's their CHOICE.I don't need to feed them..

King Charles, no need,got a Sealyham,says it all Doesn't it. :laugh:

Was going to check some Hole in the Morning,but I'll just stay at Home with my Fanny Licker ! :D let the experts do them instead :thumbs:

I.M.O.

Thats' me Told :icon_redface: My opinion,My choice .Won't Keep a Dog that wants to "Latch !" on to other Dogs.Royal pain in the ASS!

Not being Niave why Some, would Keep Dogs with that trait. I aint that Green .That's their CHOICE.I don't need to feed them..

King Charles, no need,got a Sealyham,says it all Doesn't it. :laugh:

Was going to check some Hole in the Morning,but I'll just stay at Home with my Fanny Licker ! :D let the experts do them instead :thumbs:

. Definitely no expert and didn't mean to offend ,just like to know why get a breed that have a reputation for this behaviour if you won't tolerate it

Barry White ,No offence Taking.Skin as thick as A Rhino :D

Wont Tolerate the Behaviour.....plenty of the Breed without it :yes: The litter mates of that Pup were all fine.and did just Dandy ...

Tam O'Voids post What a Lakie should look like....their on that...with relations... none were fighters :thumbs:

Got a pup /Starter at the moment plenty of Drive,needing to be cooled down,but I Know he Will settle with "Work" the Black Pup was just not for settling.Had a Trait I Just don't Like in any Dog..and don't need,simple..

Think I've sorted it now parted them up.theres one dog 4 bitchs the dog seemed to be starting on two of the bitchs then thay would all Plow in.definately would have had dead pup if I never parted them.ive stuck the two bitchs in same side all seems ok for the time being

Think I've sorted it now parted them up.theres one dog 4 bitchs the dog seemed to be starting on two of the bitchs then thay would all Plow in.definately would have had dead pup if I never parted them.ive stuck the two bitchs in same side all seems ok for the time being

Glad ,you have Reached a solution that suits you :thumbs: