Buying Local!

I was never aware that less than a mile from me is a small independent RFD. So we had an amble round to the shop today as I have need of a scope for the Goldstar! He has a full range of weapons from secondhand spring powereds to full bore hunting rifles and ammo!

Found out that Hawke have stopped making the cheap HD AO scopes I liked so much for my spring powereds so trying a BSA Essencial 3-9x40 AO on it. Cheap enough, he is matching online prices.

He will also get in whatever pellets we like and has a small range of things like mounts which appear to be good quality. So saving on diesel now and keeping a local shop going. He does not advertise in Yell and is only on Guntrader, so was completely under my radar until he cut his hedge one day and revealed a sign that said Cartridges for Sale! Called in and found what he had a few air rifles, a couple new, a few secondhand. Some ammo, scopes and mounts so when we got the latest pair, where else are we going to go for the equipment?

Support your local gunshop!

• Like 2

I had a bsa essencial scope[ i think from memory ] one of the turrets popped of when using it on a lightning .I didnt look to hard when throwing the scope away but the turrets looked like they were held in place with little screws . one of these screws came loose and fell out with out my knowledge ,if I had tightened the screw before the turret fell of I may have saved the scope .

Edited by barrywhite

I prefer to try but my local shop has a scope for £86 when the nasty boys at the SGC have it for £49.99. I asked about any discount to get a bit closer and he told me that it was already discounted enough and bade me goodbye.

I don't mind paying a little more but that difference is too much to overlook.

I buy most of my stuff off the Bay and haven't been let down yet but having stated that I say if you don't use em you loose em. I have two shops within 10 miles but I don't drive and no public transport to either so that's why I use the internet but I would sooner be in the shop having a brows.

It's ace when the locals have something on a good price but it seems to be a rarity nowadays. I'll always call to check what they have and their prices before buying anywhere else which gives them the opportunity to take the business if they want it. I'm not mercenary enough to squeeze them down to the last penny and I'm happy to pay a little over what I can get it for on another reputable online retailer.

I've found an MTC Mama that I'm going to buy on Monday / Tuesday. Limited distribution and my local retailer in Cirencester has them for just shy of £240 where Uttings has then for £209 with £6 delivery (or £12 if I want it before 10.30 the next day). Even if the local comes down £20 I've still got to take time out of my working day and fuel costs to pick it up. Also feel a little uneasy in there since my mate had an incident with a rifle and their window.

Supporting locals is my general approach for all retailers but I can't afford to be held to ransom over it. If they don't want to act on the feedback I provide then that's up to them but I won't be the only one with this sentiment.

Edited by TheRealChuckNorris

I buy from my local rfd all the time ,all of my rifles apart from three have come from the shop but you can go in and pick what one you want and he will put it away in his strong room and you can pay for it weekly i may add you dont get the rifle until the last payment but not all of us can pull £500 or £600 out of our pockets.I walked in one Xmas and spent the best part of £2500 on rifles and all the gear ,scopes ,mounts ,silencers,boots ,jackets,real tree pants,gloves,3 rifles,gun slips and slings and the fittings come to think of it thats why i get a cuppa when i go in atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

When I decided what gun, scope, pellets and gun slip I wanted I compared the top three or four online retailers, prices varied massively. Just on the off chance I rang the small airgun and fishing shop about 5 miles away, and they beat all the big boys easily.

Willards Milton Keynes