New Traps Officially 'Approved'

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I got hold of one of each size of trap from Solway Feeders today for my collection, since they had been recently been added to the approval order. I have to say that I am of mixed opinion about them. They look for all the world like the cheapo Chinky copies, all shiny steel, split rings and that. BUT, and it is a big but - they pack one hell of a punch. The Mk 6 trap is almost too strong to set for weaker trappers! The Mk 4 has the same turns on the spring as the Fenn (7) but I do wonder about the rustproof qualities of them. They are unmarked, no name on the plate or brass tongue, so could easily be sold as inferior brands. I think Solway have slipped up there.

Has anyone else had any experience with them? As I said, mine are for my collection but I would like to get another to leave out in the rain - just to see what happened to it.

OTC

• 2 months later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got hold of one of each size of trap from Solway Feeders today for my collection, since they had been recently been added to the approval order. I have to say that I am of mixed opinion about them. They look for all the world like the cheapo Chinky copies, all shiny steel, split rings and that. BUT, and it is a big but - they pack one hell of a punch. The Mk 6 trap is almost too strong to set for weaker trappers! The Mk 4 has the same turns on the spring as the Fenn (7) but I do wonder about the rustproof qualities of them. They are unmarked, no name on the plate or brass tongue, so could easily be sold as inferior brands. I think Solway have slipped up there.

Has anyone else had any experience with them? As I said, mine are for my collection but I would like to get another to leave out in the rain - just to see what happened to it.

OTC

Hi,

I am the MD at Solway Feeders. I was searching on google and found this forum. We were interested in setting up a forum on our website so that such concerns about our products can be voiced. But we are a small company who is getting busier every month. We are about to order our second batch of traps (from Taiwan NOT China) with our name stamped onto the plate with the relevant MK4 or MK6. The plate was set at the wrong angle and with slight adjustment the plate can be raised. The factory we use is in Taiwan, they supply us with many parts and products that are built to a high standard. We spent nearly 2 years getting our trap ready for approval by the Government Lab. The trap passed testing early last year. We field tested the traps and still are checking on their progress.

Regards Andrew Kennedy

Welcome to the site Andrew.

I think that the seemingly minor addition of the company name on the trap plate will differenciate between the Solway genuine approved trap and the inferior Far Eastern made copies which is important for the trapping community - that way they know they are buying the right trap. There is a following of A FENN and his own branded traps as the 'original' spring trap but they are getting harder to source following the flood of these cheaper traps onto the market through eBay etc. I wish you well with the improved trap.

OTC

Edited by OldTrapCollector

I agree about the poor quality of spring traps from China and the poor attitude by a certain gentleman living near Stratford market. It was a huge error not to get our name/model on the plate as we had spent a lot of effort making the trap work well enough for us to label it Solway. I am a fan of Mr Fenn also. I cannot speak about all our invlovements and any offers that were made by us to A Fenn & co in the past few years. Needless to say it was dissapointing that we could not acquire the name and brand all our traps Fenn with a view to getting a whole range of traps made to a certain good quality. Anyway I wish them success.

Welcome to the site Andrew.

I think that the seemingly minor addition of the company name on the trap plate will differenciate between the Solway genuine approved trap and the inferior Far Eastern made copies which is important for the trapping community - that way they know they are buying the right trap. There is a following of A FENN and his own branded traps as the 'original' spring trap but they are getting harder to source following the flood of these cheaper traps onto the market through eBay etc. I wish you well with the improved trap.

OTC

OTC

I have just received delivery of 15 today, (Solway 4), dunked one in the water butt straight away, and have left it out to see what happens, the others have gone straight into some squirrel boxes. The spring is strong, much stronger than the Fenns/Springers I have, but they are 5 yrs old now, it remains to be seen how they last, but I'll keep you informed.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ok. Hands up. I'm getting interested! Be good to hear how people find these Solways, in the longer run.

Andrew; It's been my own personal experience - and that of others I've known - that any attempted negotiations with the surviving members of the family of Mr A.A. Fenn can be 'Interesting' :whistling:

Ok, put 10 of the Solway 4's into boxes yesterday 5.30pm, went back today, 9 out of 10, would have been a full house except some prat did'nt take the safety off one of them :icon_redface: Anyway, no problems with them catching, nothing broke or came apart, so first impressions are good. If anything adverse happens over the next few months, I'll let you know, will also keep you up to date on the rust test.

77dc9dda.jpg

c4cadb09.jpg

9438918f.jpg

3ed2f7a3.jpg

5a63f4a4.jpg

d5acccb8.jpg

Hi,

Thats an interesting box. We were experimenting with a plastic version we could mass produce and make cheap (with good design and material quality of course). After testing I was unsure if it worked better than a run through tunnel, but it caught squirrel. hmmmm

To DS - I have noted about Fenn. I will send them another letter.

Ok, put 10 of the Solway 4's into boxes yesterday 5.30pm, went back today, 9 out of 10, would have been a full house except some prat did'nt take the safety off one of them :icon_redface: Anyway, no problems with them catching, nothing broke or came apart, so first impressions are good. If anything adverse happens over the next few months, I'll let you know, will also keep you up to date on the rust test.

77dc9dda.jpg

c4cadb09.jpg

9438918f.jpg

3ed2f7a3.jpg

5a63f4a4.jpg

d5acccb8.jpg

I've had lots of squirrel with boxes like that too SF. The lids come completely off mine but otherwise looks similar (see below). I found that fenn4 weren't always strong enough for my liking so I was going to start making the boxes big enough for sixes but I reckon your '4's will have enough power for the job.

post-2748-1204875722.jpg

I've had lots of squirrel with boxes like that too SF. The lids come completely off mine but otherwise looks similar (see below). I found that fenn4 weren't always strong enough for my liking so I was going to start making the boxes big enough for sixes but I reckon your '4's will have enough power for the job.

post-2748-1204875722.jpg

shame on you john, with the state of that trap.
The answer to an earlier post about the Doc traps. The Game Conservancy I believe will be the sole importer of the Doc traps.

I hope that they have less trouble than I did getting hold of them direct from the manufacturer in NZ!!! :wallbash:

OTC

The answer to an earlier post about the Doc traps. The Game Conservancy I believe will be the sole importer of the Doc traps.

I hope that they have less trouble than I did getting hold of them direct from the manufacturer in NZ!!! :wallbash:

OTC

patience grasshopper , i,m just waiting til they are easy to get hold of