Milky Doe Rabbits

Hmmmm, well lets hope that overall they get on better this year than last, lots of people me included, saying numbers were down considerably in some areas, I have one spot that usually holds a good number, around the end of April - beginning of May loads of drummers around, then around 3-4 weeks later very low numbers, myxy must have gone through them like wildfire.

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 1

Until this week, I hadn't seen any rabbits about on the permissions visited, much of the land being covered in surface water, but this week they were out feeding in daylight again and harvested a few. All of 2013 to date, I've not had mixy on any of my farms in South Bucks and Berks and have only seen big adults since September. These milkies were the first I've had since August. Maybe it was the drought stopped them breeding, the grass being so dry?

Hmmmm, well lets hope that overall they get on better this year than last, lots of people me included, saying numbers were down considerably in some areas, I have one spot that usually holds a good number, around the end of April - beginning of May loads of drummers around, then around 3-4 weeks later very low numbers, myxy must have gone through them like wildfire.

There was a place near me a couple of years ago where you'd never seen so many rabbits. Literally on a summer's evening you couldn't see the grass for rabbits - probably 10,000 out in an evening - no exaggeration. You couldn't have placed a Jack Russell between the rabbits! The huge field actually looked white. The landowner didn't take care of them despite his obligation to do so - was a business premises in an old stately home. I'm guessing he knew nothing of the law or the country.

A year later and ever since, not even seen a single rabbit on the same field. Probably is the odd one, but they've just not been out when I've been past. It is amazing how mixy can devastate a population.

yes you will get milky doe rabbits. even had them with young.its good to shoot the bunnies that are a pest i dont like it when theyre carring young because thats next years shoot up the swanny.but you cant tell that the doe is pregnant.

Edited by airarmstx200

Had 2 little kits on friday with the .22lr. Was gutted as a beautiful fox sat 250yards away and wouldn't come in to the call. Stalked and got within 50yards only to pop my head up settled the rifle on bipod and a crow swooped down at charlie and spooked it off. Wasn't happy at all. Kept calling but didn't see him again. So gona have another go next week when I get the .17HMR ;)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...