I know it's illegal to use a torch while shooting roosting birds but why would you bother when you can see them clear as anything with a nice cloudy backdrop and the slightest bit of light scares off everything that isn't young or ill? I've seen a couple of vids on YouTube with lads doing summer time birds using a lamp but when it's winter and the mature birds with good survival instincts are about they'd have no chance. In the woods round here everything buggers off if your phone lights up.

Seriously lads try a nice cloudy night when the sky looks white preferably with a good wind so their preoccupied with holding on and leave the electronic aids at home and see if you get better results.

• Like 1

The wet/ windy nights are the best .. as the birds sit low and sit tight....

But they sit in trees that have a lot of cover...

Theres no chance of seeing these in the moonlight...

Ofcourse no light would be better... but its not always possible...

Doesnt matter if you have no light... or a helicopter search light...

If you cant hit the bloody things :whistling: ...

ive never seen more than the odd one or two roosting in the summer .they are all gone by then until the new poults are released in the autumn .then to get good sport you want the leaves of the trees so middle november time on for big numbers .country lanes ive always had most success .to much hag now going into woods at night with all the modern bugs and trip wires plus in a wood in middle of the night you aint going to be seeing many birds perched 30 or 40 ft up with out a torch .ive always found with roosters you shoot into cover in the dark and theyre gone have a bit of light on the subject and your stood back in the shadow he then picks his head up cocks it to one side trying to have a look see .thats when you put his lights out :thumbs: .

• Like 1

Hen pheasants are pretty easy to get a big bag out of round here, its the cock pheasants that are a nightmare, the hens happily sit there until you put them down, the cocks allow one shot then their off calling their heads off alerting everything in the area

a nightmare aint they once they start ? you can see four or five hens perched out easy shots .its when you hold fire a minute or two that you notice a couple of cocks just out of the way . i dropped 58 in a lane one night last autumn only a dozen or so was cocks.but addictive sport all the same.

• Like 1

Hen pheasants are pretty easy to get a big bag out of round here, its the cock pheasants that are a nightmare, the hens happily sit there until you put them down, the cocks allow one shot then their off calling their heads off alerting everything in the area

a nightmare aint they once they start ? you can see four or five hens perched out easy shots .its when you hold fire a minute or two that you notice a couple of cocks just out of the way . i dropped 58 in a lane one night last autumn only a dozen or so was cocks.but addictive sport all the same.

Its worse when theres a group of cocks, 1 flies off calling like mad and they all do, cant hang about for long after that lol, most weve done is 12 in one night with the catties but we dont go out for big numbers, need enough to last all season, and dont want to be taking more than we need from the small shoots around here.

There's a patch of trees where I sometimes walk the dog, there is a bit of light from an old water board building and a house. On a good night i can see 4 or 5 pheasants just sat there, really low, so low I could probably hit them with a stick! (not that I would) when my aiming gets a little more accurate I dont think there will be many sitting in that tree but they are safe for now!