Another Beauty ....!

:toast: Un F**king Believable! They've been out there for a week or more now, totally oblivious to my various traps. Eating my peanuts within inches of the entrances. Nothing!

Just stepped out for a pee and nearly f**king shit myself!

tn_P2140135_zpscef197bb.jpg

Isn't That Gorgeous?!? :boogy:

Weird little thing too, had me worried! Perfectly lively in the trap. Sent him into the catching box and there he sat.

Fetched him out and he just laid in my hand. All drawn in and tight feathered. I was watching his eye and already convinced he's gonna just peg out on me! :icon_eek:

Measured his wing. He never so much as stretched a feather.

Put him in the pot; He dropped in like a stone. Little legs drawn up to his belly. Not a quiver.

Slipped him back out into my hand and visualised standing there, hand open. Him laying there. Waiting for him to move or just die!

Opened the front door. Opened my hand. " See ya! " he said. And flew, like a missile, off to the spruce trees over the way! :huh: Absolutely perfectly healthy and happy bird!

Never had one play possum like that before though. And I've rung hundreds and hundreds of birds.

Rung plenty of Goldies too. First time I've ever trapped one though :good:

• Like 9

They are terrible for flaking out on you Pete.

:icon_eek: Weee! I've never heard that before! I know that greenfinches can break themselves, in ye hand. And they can get 'wing cramp', if not handled just so.

(Some suggest it's one and the same thing. But, I can't see how they could ever recover from what amounts to snapping their own wish bone! I've seen crampy birds eventually fly off)

It's like bullies. I grew up completely certain in the received knowledge that a bullfinch simply can't be held in the hand. They too drop dead.

What utter bollox! I've personally handled and ringed several bullies. Did them no harm what so ever. It's just an urban myth that, certainly in my day, was accepted as gospel.

Rung enough goldies too. Never any problem. That's why this one had me off balance.

Want me to pop round and handle your young stock for ye? :laugh:

They are terrible for flaking out on you Pete..and i'm dreading catching the one's that i bred last year in the aviary to sex them properly.. :cray:

Well heeelllloooo you. hope your well :bye:

Fine and dandy Moocha.. :D:thumbs:

They are terrible for flaking out on you Pete.

:icon_eek: Weee! I've never heard that before! I know that greenfinches can break themselves, in ye hand. And they can get 'wing cramp', if not handled just so.

(Some suggest it's one and the same thing. But, I can't see how they could ever recover from what amounts to snapping their own wish bone! I've seen crampy birds eventually fly off)

It's like bullies. I grew up completely certain in the received knowledge that a bullfinch simply can't be held in the hand. They too drop dead.

What utter bollox! I've personally handled and ringed several bullies. Did them no harm what so ever. It's just an urban myth that, certainly in my day, was accepted as gospel.

Rung enough goldies too. Never any problem. That's why this one had me off balance.

Want me to pop round and handle your young stock for ye? :laugh:

I have seen it happen several time's Pete and it is horrible...from catching them in the aviary too getting them out of the travel box...they seem spot on with you near them but as soon as you catch or try to catch them they seem to go down hill quick.. i have had them skid down the aviary mesh and lay on the floor gasping only after several attempt's to catch them...and that is with fit bird's that should be able to fly all day long... so fitness is not a issue..

I just think that it is down to the fact that they can't handle any kind of stress very well.. when i got my Goldie hen from Fireman last year he was in a right state incase it did not make the journey...luckely it was in good hand's and made it here...BUT she did play dead on me when i had to take her out of the carry cage..

When i went to collect a cock Goldie from a mate last year it was fine and never went limp once and to this day it has never done so..but while he was getting caught up another goldie in the flight got stuck behind a partition door and skidded to the floor with it's wing's open.. :blink: .. i said that's dieing by the look of it.. my mate said no they are stupid.. :D ...he picked it up and looked at it as it layed in his open hand before it flew off as though nothing was the matter..

:huh: Blimey! This is most strange. I can't wait to discuss this with my boss.

And you've had greenies, haven't you? Ever any grief with them? We're not mean't to allow them to flap their wings as we process them. That's most important.

I mean; Obviously, it's not on to let any bird flap and thrash around. That would demonstrate lack of control on our part. And risk serious damage to the birds feathers or even limbs. But, greenies? Close constraint it the absolute watch word.

Now, lesser redpolls? (One of my favourite catches! Absolutely delightful little things. I'd so like to be able to keep them. I love the mutants!) They're just charming little characters, in the hand.

Quite amazing, really, how so many species of wild bird demonstrate the completely predictable patterns of behaviour when caught. Amazing how I've not encountered it in Goldies before.

Hmm. Come to think of it though? When I catch a bird, I'll have it out of the trap and back out of the door well inside five minutes. More like three, I'd imagine?

Bit different from putting it in a box and driving across town to a strange, new environment with it. I guess 'my' birds just hardly have time to register WTF's happening, before it's happened and they're back out there.

I make their f**king heads spin alright! :laugh:

BPR; I'm a trained and licensed Ringer, mate :) It's been a life long ambition of mine, to get into ringing.

I'm absolutely shattered, right now, and about to turn in. But, you should find some stuff explaining what I do Here.

When I've rested, I'll happily chatter away about it till long after ye eyes have glazed over and ye mind's shut down :laugh:

• Like 1

Millet; Had another Goldie this morning. Bugger was chalk and cheese! Very alert and active. Didn't give a monkeys what I was doing and went out the door as sharp as he came in.

I'm going to take special note of their responses now. This is intriguing.

And, yeah, that beak on a greenie? Not made for sucking semolina, is it? :laugh:

• Like 1

:icon_eek: Here, hang about ..... Hawfinches; Isn't it said that they can crack a cherry stone?!

What a dilemma. You've caught the undisputed king of all finches. The rarest, most elusive of them. A bird of legend.

And, it could very likely take your finger nail clean off!!!!! :icon_eek:

Phone a friend ....? :laugh: