Advise On Breeding ??

Hopefully gonna breed one of my jills this year , never done it before , have read alot on the web about it but want to know what you guys do . . . Basically once the deed has been done by the hob what are the next stages you have to prepare . . Once the jill has had the kits do you just leave them to it for a few days ?.. feeding ? Any info at all will help . Cheers

Treat them as normal. Handle the kits once the mothers aren't sitting on them so much. I would split the jills up too. When cleaing out, dont do the nest boxes. Feed as normal. Meat and water. Avoid liver as it is high in vitamin A and causes deformities in growth.

You wont go far wrong with this advice. A word of caution, jills can sometimes have a change of temprement for a short while whilst with their young, so a normal friendly jill can become a little nippy(protective)its normal and she will calm down again, sometimes after a few days sometimes not until she has weened all the kits.

Handle the kits as much as possible but unless you know your jill very well leave well alone for the first couple of weeks.If you play around with the nest/ young too early and she is not happy she could abandon them or even kill them.

NEVER clean the nest box,NEVER let kits go before 8 weeks. Make sure she has fresh meat and plenty of fluid available at all times.When mine have young, once a week il give the mother a raw egg with milk and once a week they get fish(tinned)sardines in water etc apart from that carry on as normal ferrets are genrally good mothers.Good luck :thumbs:

• Like 2

Sound advice ! When i bred mine last year the mother turned slightly if i was to even go within 1 foot of the nest , so unless you like being diggered in bites leave well alone ! but once there at there playful stage enjoy it and one thing i learnt was not to get too attached as all mine had homes . But didnt want to letr them go . Also if your jill is finding it hard to feed any of them lactol is very good as a subsitute !

Cheers van man [bANNED TEXT] u say nest box i asume u mean the closed of part of the hutch where the bedding is so its oki to clean the rest ? And is it oki to open the bedding door just to check everythinks oki ..

Yes the enclosed section of the hutch,if you can open a door to it then yes have a quick peek to check all is well but apart from that leave alone.Clean the rest of the hutch as normal,you might have to put the jill away while you do this ,just to make life easier ,she will be fine for 5 mins(i put mine in their carry box).

All ferrets are different i have one jill that will let me handle kits from day one and brings them out to show me,but as a genral rule i wouldnt advise it.

If you have any questions/queries/worries feel free to pm me mate il help you all i can.Good luck.

• Like 1