Trap Swivels

Hello lads! Just wondering are any of ye using swivels on your trap chains, and if so are you buying them or making your own? I'm using large fishing swivels at the moment and they do the job but just wondering is there an alternative that can be easily got or even home made?

There's an article on here somewhere showing simple swivels and anchoring systems by the legend Glen Waters.

Have a dig around.

Thanks for that Lad! I'll have a root around! Glen knows his stuff alright, have his trapping dvd!

No, mate. I order my stuff from Gerald Schmitt, USA.

Not cheap, granted. But, this way I get what I consider to be the best there is. The pain of paying for it is soon forgotten. And Gerald doesn't try to take the piss on shipping either. Ask him for a quote.

Also, he has a fantastic range of lures and knows them well enough to point ye to the one best suited to ye purposes.

• Like 1

No, mate. I order my stuff from Gerald Schmitt, USA.

Not cheap, granted. But, this way I get what I consider to be the best there is. The pain of paying for it is soon forgotten. And Gerald doesn't try to take the piss on shipping either. Ask him for a quote.

Also, he has a fantastic range of lures and knows them well enough to point ye to the one best suited to ye purposes.

Had a quick look at the site and just wondering why the Belisle 110 are a good bit dearer than the Bridger 110? Don't know much about any of the American brands! Are they made from better quality steel, better action, spring e.t.c?
Had a quick look at the site and just wondering why the Belisle 110 are a good bit dearer than the Bridger 110?

Dunno, Ed'. It's just a gut thing, with me. I've never been led to think of a Bridger being a 'cheap' make. I just like Belisle.

Putting it another way though? Those American boys tend to really know their shit. And Patriotism is completely virulent in the vast majority of those who trap.

Ask yeself; Could Belisle (Or Gerald) keep selling Canadian made gear to these guys ~ if it wasn't simply seen as worth the considerable extra, above American made stuff? And, that extra can Only equate to superior quality and hard earned results / respect in the field.

In my own experience? Belisle don't bend. They break!

The neck of what ever walks into them ;)

The Belisles certainly are a good trap. :yes:

One word of warning though.... Pete is in Ireland where there are different rules and regs around trapping. Are the Belisles listed on the Spring Trap Approval Orders for use in the UK?? :no:

When you buy an approved trap in the UK part of the profit from that trap was initially invested in getting them approved for use here :thumbs: