Spaniels For Bushing

squab

would i be right in saying that spaniels are generaly mute when working making it the ideal gundog,or is it the case if i was to use a straight spaniel for bushing from an early age they would more than likely give tongue when on rabbits cheers

Edited by hunter1372

A spaniel is supposed to work mute but some of them do speak on certain game.

A lad I shoot with has a bitch who speaks coming up to a pheasant but on nothing else. Fatman used to have a bitch called Sally who was a brilliant bitch to shoot over but would speak on a fox. At the time we kept a few hounds and we used to run Sally with them through covert. The hounds often babbled but if you heard Sally giving tongue you knew he was in it.

IMO it can be useful at times but most spaniels are mute and if you know your dog well enough it's body language will tell you what's around.

• Like 2

cheers for that,i know what your saying about knowing the dogs body language but im thinking more if its working thick cover unsighted,i suppose idealy im wanting terrier in the mix,which is what iv been thinking all along :thumbs:

I use my spaniel on a pheasent shoot beating and when flushing hes quiet not a sound but when we're out bushing and flushes ie foxes he gives tongue they just seem to get the hang of it really quickly! !

I have a cocker who is the same, always thought she was a one-off, it's good to know there are others the same. She is mute even with 4 thousand pheasants moving ahead of her but sings on a fox. Surprised me the first time, and my heart sank, thinking she was going to start yapping on game, but no.

• 4 weeks later...