A Little Bit Of Begging

Hi all,

As the topic tile suggests, I'm here to do a little bit of begging. After shooting air rifle for a number of years I decided to finally apply for my FAC. All has progressed smoothly so far, but the powers that be have decided that I need somebody in the know to take me out for a bit of 'mentoring' with a .22lr.

Now I've been out with rifles in the past so I'm not completely green, (although admittedly, relatively inexperienced). But I think the plod just want to ensure that I don't shoot myself in the face, gun down any ramblers, or generally commit any other atrocities.

So. In short, I was wondering if there were any benevolent FAC holders in the Cleveland(ish) area that would be willing to donate a few hours one day to assist.

Recompense will be in the form of copious amounts of gratitude and a bacon and egg butty or two.

(obviously I'll be chucking the cash in to cover ammo and deisel costs etc)

If anybody could offer a bit of assistance with this I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance guys.

All the Best

Mick

• Like 1

So have they granted it with a mentoring clause on your certificate? Or are they saying you must go out with someone first?If its the latter then it is quite strange, if you have applied then you must have some suitable ground for a .22lr right? Does the farmer/landowner not hold an fac, or anyone else that shoots on the land? What about going into your local rfd, explain that you will buy a rifle from him/her, and ask if any of the customers would be willing to take you out, possibly a free day rabbiting ect on your ground, are the police saying they want you to have a days instruction from a .22rf shooter, or they are applying a mentoring clause? Please clarify.

That goes against home office guide lines, get in touch with whichever shooting organisation you are a member of for advice on how to challenge this

Certainly worth a try, and probably the best option, but note the word GUIDE!!

Mentoring is not a legal requirement,

No it is not, but if the police have reason they can decide pretty much whatever they like, it is a complete pain in the arse for most, but they are simply arse covering themselves, mentoring for centrefires has been quite common for many years, but is wondering into the realms of rimfire as well, I did my first mentoring for a HMR owner circa 5 years ago, and he already had a 80ft lb Daystate on FAC and a long standing SGC!

Either ask the question yourself of the Firearms Dept or talk to your shooting organisation.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

That goes against home office guide lines, get in touch with whichever shooting organisation you are a member of for advice on how to challenge this

But that is all they are guidelines, the police can impose any conditions they like I am afraid, the op has not yet clarified if they have granted and imposed a mentoring condition, or they want him to go out with somebody for the day before granting, which the op seems to imply.

Thanks for the replies so far gents, apologies for the lack of information in the initial post, allow me to clear things up a little.

I work as a Herdsman for a decent sized dairy man, for the past couple of years I have had permission to shoot with an air rifle over his land. He has recently okayed me to shoot with a .22lr and a shotgun (pending certification obviously). The permission is around 400 acres, split over two locations.

There was a chap working with us who used to regularly shoot the land, however 6(ish) months ago he bagged himself a job heading the deer stalking for a big estate up scotland way, he was the only person I knew that held an FAC, nobody currently shoots the land, and the farmer himself doesn't hold an FAC. I'm not sure why, I've never asked and he's never told, so...

So far as I understand there is no clause added to the certificate, the firearms officer said that because it has been a while since last I used a rifle, he would like me to go out with somebody more experienced, who he would then contact to ensure I was safe, relatively profficient etc. Basically I think with my lack of evident experience, he wants to make sure that I'm not a reckless idiot (my words, not his).

I am assuming that he has put my application on hold until this has happened? Forgive my ignorance, but this is my first foray into the world of firearms licensing. Not knowing otherwise, I assumed this to be a reasonable request, and couldn't see any reason to dispute it.

As far as paying a visit to my local rfd, that is on the cards, but with my work hours being 5:30-18:00, and my next day off being next Thursday, I thought I would chance my hand here first. After all, he who never asks, never gets.

As far as a free day of rabbitting goes, I'm sure that would be on the cards, I'd have to have a word with the boss about it, as we've not discussed the possibility of me bringing along a 'guest' but he's a reasonable chap and I can't see why he would refuse me a polite request.

I hope this has cleared things up a little, apologies if I've rambled on a bit.

Like I said, thank's for the feedback so far.

All the Best

Mick

This happened to me on my application. The fao "suggested" I gain some experiance in the way of accompanying someone on a few outings for safety awarness and such like. I phoned my local shooting school who were only to happy for me to have a few hours with one of there instructors who took me on the range and went through all the safety aspects if the perticularly calibres in which I'd applied for. He then contacted my fao who was happy with his word I was safe and compatent. Cost £40 and was well worth the money. May be worth a try in your instance to. Atb and good luck

Thanks for all the advice guys.

The Idea of a bit of tuition never even occured to me. Al69ec, where did you go for yours if you don't mind me asking?

Much obliged

Thanks for the replies so far gents, apologies for the lack of information in the initial post, allow me to clear things up a little.

I work as a Herdsman for a decent sized dairy man, for the past couple of years I have had permission to shoot with an air rifle over his land. He has recently okayed me to shoot with a .22lr and a shotgun (pending certification obviously). The permission is around 400 acres, split over two locations.

There was a chap working with us who used to regularly shoot the land, however 6(ish) months ago he bagged himself a job heading the deer stalking for a big estate up scotland way, he was the only person I knew that held an FAC, nobody currently shoots the land, and the farmer himself doesn't hold an FAC. I'm not sure why, I've never asked and he's never told, so...

So far as I understand there is no clause added to the certificate, the firearms officer said that because it has been a while since last I used a rifle, he would like me to go out with somebody more experienced, who he would then contact to ensure I was safe, relatively profficient etc. Basically I think with my lack of evident experience, he wants to make sure that I'm not a reckless idiot (my words, not his).

I am assuming that he has put my application on hold until this has happened? Forgive my ignorance, but this is my first foray into the world of firearms licensing. Not knowing otherwise, I assumed this to be a reasonable request, and couldn't see any reason to dispute it.

As far as paying a visit to my local rfd, that is on the cards, but with my work hours being 5:30-18:00, and my next day off being next Thursday, I thought I would chance my hand here first. After all, he who never asks, never gets.

As far as a free day of rabbitting goes, I'm sure that would be on the cards, I'd have to have a word with the boss about it, as we've not discussed the possibility of me bringing along a 'guest' but he's a reasonable chap and I can't see why he would refuse me a polite request.

I hope this has cleared things up a little, apologies if I've rambled on a bit.

Like I said, thank's for the feedback so far.

All the Best

Mick

if ya can travel …….i live in the scarborough area ………more than welcome to come along for a few days out with a 22 lr …..or ya can come along on a day out for deer with the bigger rifle if it helps you out ……..pm me if its helpful for you

Thanks for both of those kind offers gents, turns out a friend of a friend of mine holds a certificate for a .22, lives just down the road, and is happy to take me out for a day or two on the bunnies.

It's heartening that there are chaps out there like yourselves, who are willing to help out a complete stranger like that.

Thank you all for the help and advice, and for making a newbie feel welcome.

Cheers.