Working Parents

Hi all. What's everyone's thoughts on the importance of having working parents in a pup? My thoughts are that a pup will be what you make it, however I'm no expert. Hancock pups are a prime example. You'll get good and bad in every litter I guess. Just wondering other people's thoughts.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Collies and Greyhounds have been bred for centuries,the majority of which have never had a hunting background,the combination of both as been utilised by hunters with some success.I do feel that dogs

yes to some degree a pup will be what you make it, but it has to be made of the right raw materials as well. breeding from working parents is a big start to this but still no guarantee. some folk pref

As said .... Whatever your thoughts... Why wouldn't you want to stack the deck in your favour?

yes to some degree a pup will be what you make it, but it has to be made of the right raw materials as well. breeding from working parents is a big start to this but still no guarantee. some folk prefer to get a pup bred from proven PRODUCERS rather than proven WORKERS, but i guess the best bet is to find a pup bred from parents which are both!! and then make the best you can with it!

• Like 2

Collies and Greyhounds have been bred for centuries,the majority of which have never had a hunting background,the combination of both as been utilised by hunters with some success.I do feel that dogs bred from genuine working backgrounds create a more rounded individual,both in the physical ability to cope with the trauma,s of work and the mental aptitude that goes hand in hand with it.Worker to worker cuts out the percentages we find less desirable in our hunting companions.

• Like 3

There is a big difference between work and work to a really high standard. Every man has a different level of what he needs in a dog and what he wants out of it. . . . so if you expectations are not sky high, a lot of dogs will end up working etc . . . . . .

And there are of course exceptions.

But i bet if you looked into it. . . . . you would find that way more really good dogs came out of working parents from proven lines. . . . than out of non working parents, where the owner relied on the dogs 'natural instinct to hunt'. . . .

The natural instinct thing is quite interesting, because does that cover, strength, speed, tenacity, stamina, drive, heart, bone structure, feet, coat, longevity, brains, strike. . . . etc etc. Or do you just mean chase shit???

Because yes. . . . most dogs will 'chase shit' to some extent.

If however I was forced to breed myself a hunting dog from two non working dogs, i'd probably pick a collie and a greyhound. . . . for those reasons that have been mentioned. But as there is absolutely no need to get a pup from non working parents, I can't see why you would?

• Like 1

Ha no i didn't just mean "chase shit" was looking for a more in depth view on it rather than the one you expected haha no I understand exactly what you mean by the different standards of working dog! I also see we're your coming from about the variables (speed heart strength etc etc) however I feel you get this through breeding certain dogs

if a breeder cannot be arsed to get out and work his stock , why then should he feel the need to take the risk of breeding it? increasing the chance of it failing, and the dog ending up left dumped on field, or passed on via the peddling sites, there's enough litters of pups available from worker to worker, so why take the chance and fill so idle gets beer fund up? Im surprised the likes of Hancock is still trading, especially in the current climate, cant stand peddlars , pure disgrace

That's another point you've covered arcticgun! Do they feel they are providing/producing good working dogs or Isit just a financial wonder they feel they should take for there own benefit ?! No one noes what they do it for ! However if they do make some decent working pups that is satisfying enough for then to carry or??

I do agree working parents are better from what ive seen but also you still.get a good hunting dog from none workers, you just have to work a bit harder with them but thats from what ive had myself.. Greys will run and hunt same as whips,

Edited by bracken boy