Hw80 .177 Sick To Death Of It

bought this rifle with the intention of fixing it up but i am sick of the bloody thing

The whole action has been professionally stripped,shot blasted and then powder coated matt black at a cost of £70

It makes the rifle look spot on and is a indestructible finish that never needs oiling (wish all rifles where like this)

The stock has been stripped and refinished by previous owner to a high standard

New piston seal, new breach seal, new butt pad,new spring

The rifle look fantastic,like a new gun

I have put the gun back together and the gun sometimes cocks and sometimes doesnt!

i bought a new safety spring as i thought this might be the culprit, fitted it this morning still no joy

I know very little about stripping guns but i imagine this is a very very easy fix as the gun worked perfectly previously

Someone will end up with a cracking rifle for little money

£130 no offers

Collection from sunderland

I would be interested in fixing it for you but I'm the other end of the country, to be honest it is a easy fix as long as nothing is broke or missing, basically the trigger is causing your problem and installed wrong, did you cock the trigger before you slipped into the trigger block? Could also be that your safety is not free and sticks sometimes when you try to cock?

Edited by murkey

Could even be the spring thats a tad too long,if its cocked quick itl catch on the piston rod if its cocked slow it wont engage on the piston rod,ive had a few of these that people have put weights in or new bigger springs and they become spring bound,but some do cock a couple of times then wont,dont give up on it yet buddy after all you or others have done,dont you know anybody that can take a look for you.

Hi murkey

yes i tried all the usual suspects i am afraid

Trigger cocked and safety pressed before installation

There is no grime for the safety to clog as the whole gun has been cleaned meticulously

The only other 2 things i could think it could be are

1. the spring is to powerful (i was given a brand new spring by a friend a long time ago and it does seem to need a lot of force to cock the gun)

2.the spring guide has 4 knurled ends on the opposite end to where the spring sits, one of these have broken off

To be honest its cost me a small fortune for all the new parts and the powder coat not to mention the original cost of the gun

I just want rid of it, it makes me rather angry just looking at it now

Cheers for the help

• Like 1

Hi murkey

yes i tried all the usual suspects i am afraid

Trigger cocked and safety pressed before installation

There is no grime for the safety to clog as the whole gun has been cleaned meticulously

The only other 2 things i could think it could be are

1. the spring is to powerful (i was given a brand new spring by a friend a long time ago and it does seem to need a lot of force to cock the gun)

2.the spring guide has 4 knurled ends on the opposite end to where the spring sits, one of these have broken off

To be honest its cost me a small fortune for all the new parts and the powder coat not to mention the original cost of the gun

I just want rid of it, it makes me rather angry just looking at it now

Cheers for the help

Seems a shame to get rid after all that work and money, if the spring is very heavy then I imagine that cocking it is least of your worries as HW80's are known for going over power due to the chamber size so a strong spring in there might be making it a little hot to say the least, although a .177 spring will have more oomphh to it than a .22, there simple guns with not a lot to go wrong so you should be able to diagnose the problem but it looks like your patience has run out on this one!!

Cheers for all the advice etc lads

Really appreciated

Lots of interest for collection and postage

Been kindly offered by a member off here for them to have a look at it friday and find out whats wrong

I dont want the rifle but would rather find out if its owt terminal before selling it on

Cheers for interest

• Like 1

It was a spring guide problem who ever dean got it of tride to tune it by shorting the guide but ended up adding a washer and the stroke was not good enuff it's sorted now and I'm pleased to say the new owner, big thanks to dean top bloke really nice guy to talk to going to be taking him out for the day with ferrets and then lamping on the night if he gets a pass from his misses l