Thanks To Tiercel,lifelongcumbrian,

bullx100%

Decided to have ago at making my self a longnet for when I'm ferreting and to use on a couple night time drops.i used the netting from advanced netting as there was no way I could knit myself a net as I have no idea how and don't think I have the patience either lol..had a little help of tiercel who told me how to get on with rigging the bagging and how to work out how many meshes I need per yard and also used the advice of tieing a bit of nylon on the netting at every 5yards so it's easer to work out we're I need to attach the netting to the head and foot line..I also used the information what longlifecumbrian put up on how he rigged his nets up which helped loads.. The weather hasn't been great down here so had been waiting for get it done for couple days so soon as I gt it finished today I decided go give it a run ......whent across the footy pitch and gave it a run out in the dark and then picked it back up with a head torch to help me see......we'll there was nothing quick about me with a quick set lol it took me ages lol but was fun going keep practicing I the day on the footy pitch until I can do it quickly then I'll be out soon the weather is right...there's a couple of tweeks what need to be made as my little helpers(my little lad and girl) made a couple mistakes with marking the 5yard marks on the head and foot lines ........

Will get a couple pics up off the finished nets up tomorrow when it's light ....

• Like 5

One thing I will say, speed does not catch rabbits, stealth does. Better to take your time and set a net correctly, than to rush and balls it all up. No matter how quick you can set a net, you will never out run a rabbit, but you can outwit it.

TC

• Like 7

Tc beat me to it,,, was going to say something similar about the speed,,,,there's a saying I Hurd it might be an army one,,slow is smooth,, smooth is fast,,,,, or something like that

referd to when taking shots (sniper/tactical) think its also on the film S.W.A.T lol

Practice practice practice mate. That's only advise I'll give. And get out and try it

Will do mate I'm going have another run out tonight just on footy pitches again getting it run out and picked up nice and steady and quietly......I take my hat of to those who still use traditional nets I can imagine how hard and how much the must of practiced on getting the nets out.....Think it'll be a couple of seasons before I attempt the trad nets lol.....I'm likening my basket to much anyway I'm like a big kid at Xmas with a new toy lol

• Like 1

Practice practice practice mate. That's only advise I'll give. And get out and try it

Will do mate I'm going have another run out tonight just on footy pitches again getting it run out and picked up nice and steady and quietly......I take my hat of to those who still use traditional nets I can imagine how hard and how much the must of practiced on getting the nets out.....Think it'll be a couple of seasons before I attempt the trad nets lol.....I'm likening my basket to much anyway I'm like a big kid at Xmas with a new toy lol

:laugh: You wait till your back starts aching. I know of one chap who has had to have a back operation as he used baskets every day and it takes it's toll on your back.

TC

This season is first time I used a quickset and a basket as my ferreting partner bought one. It's a handy bit of kit but I'll stick with trad set up lol likes been said it's easier on back and once you got hang of it, like everything else it's effortless to do majority of tomes

• Like 1

Well managed get out today with a mate and use my longnets.....did a bit of ferreting on my mates permision. Managed bag 6 today 4 hit the nets 1 dug and 1 in the purse net....was please as punch and the feeling of catching rabbits in a nets that I made was a good feeling.....a better feeling than pulling thorns out my legs and arse ....

post-43445-0-31942800-1389991683_thumb.jpg

post-43445-0-64611100-1389991704_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Slow and steady is the way for sure. I do a couple of drops on well lit fields the rabbits can see me a mile away. But I remember tc telling me once keep your movements slow and deliberate. But if you rush about they tend to make a run for it before you get by.

It has paid off more than once and I have been able to get a couple when I expected an empty field

This is the back drop to one field lit up light a stadium but still got a couple

10635605815_77170c3585_c.jpg

• Like 1