Bigger Spring

devvo

If i had a bigger spring put in my air rifle, and it took it over the 12 ft lb limit, what would the penatly be if i got caught by the police? If i acted innocent and said i didnt know it had a bigger spring in.

Sorry if its a daft question, i just dont wanna be locked up for been over the limit.

:hmm: You're responsible at the end of the day, so a fine and or a custodial sentence, rifle confiscated, your DNA logged, being as the offense would be classed as "firearm" related, they would really take an instant dislike to you, unless you are a Muslim or such like, then the UK/USA may offer you a "cash for arms" deal or summit :laugh:

Al :drink:

If i had a bigger spring put in my air rifle, and it took it over the 12 ft lb limit, what would the penatly be if i got caught by the police? If i acted innocent and said i didnt know it had a bigger spring in.

Sorry if its a daft question, i just dont wanna be locked up for been over the limit.

hey chiefy who cares if its over the legal limit . what you doin to get caught anyway?????.had an old webley victor an fitted hw77 .177 spring in it (its possible)

an that spat lead out like a two day old curry, blatherd elley wasp. allso had a highly tuned hw 77 that spat out over seventeen foot pound!!! not bad considering

the bloke who sold it me never told me

The penalty for having a 12ft/lbs + airrifle with no fac would differ between cases. I would say it would depend more on what you did to get caught with it. In my opinion air rifles at sub 12ft/lbs are not up to humane kills on certain species, at certain ranges. Sub 12 ft/lbs I shoot up to 30/35yds.

Personally I prefer 16 - 20 ft/lbs in my airrifles shooting up to 55 yards max, any further apply for a fac and get a silenced .22 rimfire or a .17 :yes:

Tuning spring guns also adds to the recoil, you would be better tuning a pcp but the more power the less shots between fills and for the money you can get a rimfire for a lot less than a good pcp.

To sum it up its up to you :whistling:

It's the old obsession with power.

Theobenmike has summed it up there really- 12ft/lb is plenty for shooting airgun quarry at sensible ranges, up to 35 yards.

If you want to shoot at longer ranges, get an FAC, and get yourself a rimfire.

Out of interest, why would you want extra power?

quote;Sorry if its a daft question, i just dont wanna be locked up for been over the limit

answer; so dont try a bigger spring, knowing it will go over the limit

as stated, if its longer range you want or bigger quarry, then go the right way about it, and get FAC, trying to do the "I didnt know officer" is surely only going to fuel the anti gun mob/ anti hunt mob with more ammunition agaisnt all of us

i really dont beleive what im reading here....if its over 12ftlb then you NEED A FIRE ARMS CERTIFICATE TO OWN IT. what do think they would do if they caught you with a fire arm???????? theres your answer. 12ftlb is more than enuff power for 30/40yrd ranges on the quary there designed for rabbits/corvids ect....anything bigger i would not even consider atempting to shoot with a air gun no matter how powerfull. we ow our quary more respect

You dont need a bigger spring mate, give it a lube tune and a hornet seal! :thumbs: your gun groups and performs much better then. and use a lighter pellet to stay out of the jail :D