Pulsar Challenger

I have one of these, a gs 1x20 with a n1000 ir.

It is fitted to a hawke sport hd 3-9x50ao scope.

To be honest, I am not that impressed with the setup, great at a set range when all set up, but for moving about and adjusting focus, I struggle with it.

A few things I am not happy with, the built in ir on the pulsar is obstructed by the scope, so is next to useless, the n1000 misses the scope as it sits higher so does all the work.

The fitting of the pulsar to the scope is bearable, just, it does tend to move about and wastes time and shots trying to centre it, it clamps onto the eye piece on the scope, and that's it, is there a rail that can make it a more permanent fixture to the gun ?

As before, getting a focus is hard work, is there a better scope more suited to this pulsar unit before I go crazy and sell the lot and buy a dedicated nv scope, keep thinking about the n750.

Cheers for the help.

Rob.

Go get a photon or n550/750 plenty of vids on YouTube of the photon looks pretty good with the extras and a t20 ir I have the n550 with a Sony doubler and t20 ir and is a grate bit of kit you can pick a good 2nd hand one up for around £600

I was literally just looking at the t20 ir.

So the advice is, don't try and sort my set up out, but get a new one instead, well I am not against that idea, but does my pulsar have a value, I bought it off here a few months ago and paid fair money for it, I am sure with some fettling (right scope) it would be an excellent unit.

Edited by Rabid
  • Like 1
They are a good IR and cleans up the image too

quote name="villaman" post="3481327" timestamp="1387751434"]Another one for the t20 they are spot on

So what flavour t20, it seems there are two different ir to chose from, and not knowing much about them......... what's the difference ?

So the advice is, don't try and sort my set up out, but get a new one instead, well I am not against that idea, but does my pulsar have a value, I bought it off here a few months ago and paid fair money for it, I am sure with some fettling (right scope) it would be an excellent unit.

what you need is a scope with side focus ie the mtc mamba . I've seen the challenger with the mamba work to good effect and with the said T20 I would say you would be well pleased :thumbs:

what you need is a scope with side focus ie the mtc mamba . I've seen the challenger with the mamba work to good effect and with the said T20 I would say you would be well pleased :thumbs:

Thankyou,

Now this is exactly why I asked the original question, I had heard it works well with some scopes and not others, so apart from the mamba, what other scopes are suitable.

Also, any body know if its possible to get a way to fix the add on better than the tightening nut on the eye piece of the scope as it does wobble a bit even when fully tightened down.

Thanks.

Edited by Rabid
  • 1 month later...

I use the Challenger on my ratting rig, having taken advice from Warbucks and using the IR illuminator from Some bloke.

Together they work really well with the Hawke Varmint 2.5-10x44 SF.

I tend to use the scope on the minimum 2.5 mag as most of the time I am taking the rats at between 15 and 20 yards.

The image is clear and the cross hairs in focus - once you have adjusted all the variables (Scope eye piece, Challenger eye piece, Challenger focus, Scope side focus.) But once set - you can just leave it. Totally shootable from 3 yards to 25 yards.

I also find that the IR illuminator works well with the Challenger, delivering lots of contrast out to airgun ratting ranges, and with the slight shadow from having the illuminator mounted off centre, target distances can be judged really accurately.

I have had made a picatinny rail which allows me to mount the scope well forward for night work and I can then move it back for daylight use.

NV-12_zps4ab3d5ce.jpg

BSA_Hornet_NV_01s_zpsfcbba8b7.jpg

I have also been down the expensive digital route, (GB Sights, NS550, NS50 / 200, Photon etc.) but found that the above setup is by far the most efficient (going from my bag sizes which are significantly better.) The only thing I don't get is the ability to record my activities, but that does not interest me so not missed.

I also use the same setup transferred onto my .22 K-Hornet, but with a larger illuminator and with the mag set on 10 power. This setup has accounted for literally dozens of fox.

Regards

JonP

Edited by JonP666