Is The Beddy The Right Dog For Me?

Pig boy

I'm just about to finish my GCSE's which is going to allow me to have much more spare time, enough time to train another terrier. I'm hoping to train it to be pretty useful in a few jobs such as the obvious ratting and bushing but also retrieving shot game for me, but not digging. Do you think the Bedlington would be a good choice? Or would ratting and bushing not mix well with retrieving?

Pig boy :thumbs:

A good bedlington can be trained for them tasks, it will get hard mouthed through the rats though

Not all get hard mate. My terrier will just hold shot or netted rabbits - she's not interested in killin them and she's had rats and squirrels :thumbs:

PB, Bear is right to an extent. It will be much harder for you to find a dog that's soft mouthed retrieving but will go ratting. Either that or you'll need to work really hard on getting it trained properly. From what I've heard of beddys, they should do the job just fine for you. Good luck :victory:

Sam

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys, with the retrieving of game it wouldn't really matter if the Beddy was hard mouthed as the bird or whatever retrieved would just be food for my ferrets and a bit of fun on my part.

Another question haha! Basically my Lab is going to be put down soon due to a prostate problem :cray: and my terrier pup who has always had a close relationship with him seems to become quite depressed, so would getting another dog be a good thing for him? This isn't the only reason for me wanting this Beddy but i thought it may help get back to normal?

sorry to hear about your lab mate

your terrier will also be picking up on your depression at the moment.

so try to keep positive although i know this can be hard.

if your terrier pup is still in the process of being trained then i think i would hold off from gettin another pup until you have this one sorted

it,s good that you are doing your research now before your lab goes then you know what to get when the time comes.

i,ve known guys who,ve lost a dog then just gone out and got any old thing in their haste to get another companion for their other dog and have lived to regret their choice.

i have a beddy/whippet and know from my research into the beddlington terrier that they are a very versatile type .

good luck

Edited by whipbed
  • Like 2

Thanks Bearinator, little George has been a bit shaky but never leaves the old boys side, is there anything i could do to make it less stressful for him? :thumbs:

Wipbed Thanks mate you're right it is hard but knowing the dogs had a good life makes it all slightly easier, the terrier is finished training now so that's alright! I do like the beddy to be honest, any good breeders to get a pup off?

As for training the new pup for it's varied jobs in the field but it be best if it's retrieving was solidified before taking it ratting? And would getting it to retrieve shot rabbit not work well with the bushing as he'd need to act diferently for each job? I was thinking just feather for retrieval?

Thanks again guys :victory:

• Like 1

Not much you can do mate just have to spend more time with him, any amount of people breeding bedlingtons than will do the tasks you require but hard to get digging stock. Yes get the retrieving done before it is old enough for rats and a terrier can retrieve rabbits it catches bushing as well as any you shoot. If you ain't on the working bedlington forum then join it as some good lads are on it

I have just got a 7 week old beddy pup looking forward to getting it going we lost our 8 year old beddy in November! Was going to wait till the spring to get a pup!! But a litter came from working parents and as we all know there like rocking horse poo these days!!

Our old beddy was 6 when we got her and never been worked but took to it like a duck to water. And now am hooked on the breed!! Have seen a few in action on rats and bunnys, even met a kid who lamps his rillington type with some success!! I like the granitor type! A bit smaller in the leg. But as I only do rabbits the pup I have just got is a rillington cross granitor just make sure they are worker to worker and enjoy.

ATB