Landfill Ratting

If you have permission to hunt landfill check to see if they have a spraying program. They will usually spray 280 litres of insecticide to keep down the flies, but this is just a front. They add so much in order to kill off everything including rats as the spray affects the central nervous system of any animal.....even humans. Landfills have their own hidden dangers so although we would think that the main threat is from bacteria, you may in fact be walking on to a site with massive levels of insecticide. I work as an Environmental Technician at a landfill site......there are virtually no rats on our site.,......we spray. 2 rats seen in 4 years!

I've hunted landfill/tip sites since the 60's and never had any problems up until around 96ish,we had been ratting on this particular tip for a year or 2 taking some large numbers until we all got some kind of poisoning, all 5 of us couldn't get out of bed the next day (Monday) and 2 were sent to hospital, we were all tested for weils disease but were found negative, they treated us all with antibiotics and reckoned it was some sort of gas poisoning but they really did,nt know,we were looked at very strange at the hospital when they found we hunted rats on tips for fun, not long after on another tip we found loads of brand new camo gear and kitted ourselves out with coats pants etc, after taking them out of their plastic bags I noticed a paper note pinned to the arm, I shit myself when I read it was from a laboratory used to test the uniforms for germ warfare, again we were all ill and tested for loads of rare diseases, my mate died within 12 months of a rare form of leukaemia and another mate had a downs kid, these things may not have had a bearing on anything but it stopped us killing on tips, it just isn't worth the hassle of getting ill but I do miss the rats and foxes we used to get, WM

• Like 1

If you have permission to hunt landfill check to see if they have a spraying program. They will usually spray 280 litres of insecticide to keep down the flies, but this is just a front. They add so much in order to kill off everything including rats as the spray affects the central nervous system of any animal.....even humans. Landfills have their own hidden dangers so although we would think that the main threat is from bacteria, you may in fact be walking on to a site with massive levels of insecticide. I work as an Environmental Technician at a landfill site......there are virtually no rats on our site.,......we spray. 2 rats seen in 4 years!

That's very alarming. Is it widely know about the spraying ? We used to hunt rats on a land fill and the foxes would line up waiting for us to go so they could start feeding. Also it was the most Barn Owls I've ever seen in the one place at the one time. 3 or 4 owls was the norm. Our best night was 169 rats but we'd see maybe 10,000 rats each night. That dump was ruined for ratting when they started covering the waste every day with bulldozers.

Then I remember 10 or 12 years ago every body was complaining about the amount of flies (especially the townies after moving out) and a fellow from the council said that due to council cut backs they had stopped spraying the tip.

A lot of tips here tend to be beside bad agricultural land ie. bogland , so surely this spraying gets into the water table ?????

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 1

I'v hunted landfills before we had permission to go on during the night with the terriers and lamps used to get verry good numbers. We have a local tip we visited threw the week after the owner said, come during the day when the digger moving rubbish there's rats bolting every were. It was dangerous though because trucks were dumping and a large conveyer was running and the dogs could have ran into some plant. We headed behind the building and had a load with the pups that they dug out. But I'll be giving it a second thought now hearing those stories fellas just sick to setting my live traps, what tip did you used to go on Wirral countryman

I will get a bit technical here.....

The spray used is called Toppel, it works by Acetyl-Choline Esterase Inhibition (ACh). This means that when a signal is sent over your nerve synapse (i.e. to blink), ACh is used to wipe the signal out so a new one can be sent. The sprays used in tips/landfill causes the ACh to be blocked so you keep getting the signal "blink blink blink blink blink" like a nervous disorder or twitch. The thing is this may take years to show in people because the spray accumulates in the fat of your body and we have have no way of breaking it down. Lipophillic chemicals is the proper term.

I am not trying to cause alarm but if you ever hunt and start getting sore heads, or notice one of the dogs not at themselves then I would definitely be making a hefty exit.

You have to remember, councils spend thousands in making sure nothing lives in these tips so public don't complain of flies or rats. Money is no issue and they put the spray on massive massive volumes!

As for it leaching into groundwater......well you know the water that collects underground from all the stinking rubbish which is toxic and black........your water company collects that, treats it and puts it back into your drinking water. No kidding!

• Like 3

URUH, as kids in the 60's we spent every hour on our local prenton tip killing rats and smashing anything that we could break with our catties, there were grandfather clocks and oil lamps galore, tea sets etc , its hard to believe the stuff we smashed up and worth a fortune now, LOL's, we also used to hunt the Thurston tip, hooton tip, bebington tip and in later years the bidston tip, a lot of toxic waste that should of been incinerated or special provisions made for it used to be tipped in the middle of the night, we always knew when they had a "special" run as they would dig a deep hole in the middle of the tip and as my mates house backed onto it he would watch them rush in, tip it, then start the bulldozer and fill it in, the stream that once had plenty of sticklebacks and fish soon became a toxic green mess, money is always put before safety, that camo gear that poisoned us should of been burnt we found out later and the company had paid to have it done but ended up just being tipped,WM