Frost

I used to run DH cross's every day through the winter no matter how hard the ground was, frozen plough or what ever, never had a dog miss work through toe or leg damage,in fact through out my life i,v had very little foot damage of any sort apart from the odd cut pad due to glass, cant believe what iam reading on here, the season's short enough as it is, maybe its time to take a long hard look at what your type of dogs your running, buster.

i think a dog must run according and I believe this comes from getting them out young, I'd say most on here miss half the season because of conditions so that's why there dogs can't work according.

Running a dog on frozen clay plough is like running on sharp lumps of concrete. A thin covering of snow just hides the sharp bits. Running on frozen grass land isn't so bad, but can still be dodgy if livestock have poached the ground and left holes all over it with sharp edges. It all depends on what ground you have to run on. Permanent pasture with a good thick covering of grass is do-able for some dogs, but they still can't get a purchase on the ground with their feet, and lose a lot on the turn when they're running something.

• Like 1

Dan on here from the states, runs his stags in the winter on hard+rough ground.Wouldnt say there feet are really any differnt to some of our lurchers with got here, but they (might) get used to running on rough ground? maybe that the reason, and dont think he gets loads of injurys with feet, might be wrong, maybe Dan can say him self .! ive run my dogs on hard ground (fields) most times and ok, but think penny right deep plough field, will feck your dog up as its hard enough in norm conditions to start with. :yes:

• Like 1

I used to run DH cross's every day through the winter no matter how hard the ground was, frozen plough or what ever, never had a dog miss work through toe or leg damage,in fact through out my life i,v had very little foot damage of any sort apart from the odd cut pad due to glass, cant believe what iam reading on here, the season's short enough as it is, maybe its time to take a long hard look at what your type of dogs your running, buster.

i think a dog must run according and I believe this comes from getting them out young, I'd say most on here miss half the season because of conditions so that's why there dogs can't work according.

Some dogs have no self preservation and their drive can make them run hard regardless of whats under their feet, its got f**k all to do with getting them out young.

We dont have clay around here but i,v run mine across the top of the frozen plough we have many many times with out issue, its all well and good breeding a dog for coat, stamina, brain etc but if you cant run it because theres a frost on the deck then its worse than useless in a British winter, buster.