Evening Doe

No loading today & dry let me get the grass cut that has been growing like mad for the last month or so .That done , a small mountain of logs moved , the chiller washed out I was ready for this afternoons outing .

Only a mile from home , the northerly wind meant I could come in from the bottom of the wood to sit in the seat in the clear fell where I shot a doe a few days ago .My approach was no problem , glassing as I went I got to the seat by 3.30 .The temperature just starting to fall on what was a stunningly clear day .An hour into the wait I just had a feeling it wasn't going to happen , nothing was moving , it seemed to quite if there is such a thing .

On the way to the farm there were several deer feeding in the edge of a field , not one of mine , out of what was a chill wind , I decided to leave the seat & stalk up through the wood to check out the two fields at the top that would offer the deer a similar situation .One I knew would be no good having sheep on it , the other was worth a look .As I cleared the wood I could see the farmers weekend work ...all the overhanging branches had been cut back , the old fencing taken down & undergrowth cut back , obviously being readied for new fencing .The branches formed a long line down the field 10 or 12 m from the wood edge which would allow me to get out into the field unseen should there be any deer out .

Turning right & going up hill , wind in my face I worked slowly up the back edge of the man made cover , with the light starting to go i could see 4 deer walking down hill on the other side of the brush , grazing & browsing as they slowly walk towards me i rested on the sticks ,with ground behind them it was a case of waiting for a clear shot through the branches .A yearling picked , a little cough , she fell to the shot at 50 or so metres. Back for the transport she was gralloched at home 20 min later.

At home i left a trail of blood from the vehicle to the carcass hidden from view 20 m away , then got the pup out to see how she faired , given ive let her see all the deer ive brought home recently i was well pleased when she went nose down straight to it ..Gralloched clean & tagged she made 68 lb ..the pup enjoyed her little liver treat ...

post-81636-0-59707800-1384894595_thumb.jpg

No loading today & dry let me get the grass cut that has been growing like mad for the last month or so .That done , a small mountain of logs moved , the chiller washed out I was ready for this afternoons outing .

Only a mile from home , the northerly wind meant I could come in from the bottom of the wood to sit in the seat in the clear fell where I shot a doe a few days ago .My approach was no problem , glassing as I went I got to the seat by 3.30 .The temperature just starting to fall on what was a stunningly clear day .An hour into the wait I just had a feeling it wasn't going to happen , nothing was moving , it seemed to quite if there is such a thing .

On the way to the farm there were several deer feeding in the edge of a field , not one of mine , out of what was a chill wind , I decided to leave the seat & stalk up through the wood to check out the two fields at the top that would offer the deer a similar situation .One I knew would be no good having sheep on it , the other was worth a look .As I cleared the wood I could see the farmers weekend work ...all the overhanging branches had been cut back , the old fencing taken down & undergrowth cut back , obviously being readied for new fencing .The branches formed a long line down the field 10 or 12 m from the wood edge which would allow me to get out into the field unseen should there be any deer out .

Turning right & going up hill , wind in my face I worked slowly up the back edge of the man made cover , with the light starting to go i could see 4 deer walking down hill on the other side of the brush , grazing & browsing as they slowly walk towards me i rested on the sticks ,with ground behind them it was a case of waiting for a clear shot through the branches .A yearling picked , a little cough , she fell to the shot at 50 or so metres. Back for the transport she was gralloched at home 20 min later.

At home i left a trail of blood from the vehicle to the carcass hidden from view 20 m away , then got the pup out to see how she faired , given ive let her see all the deer ive brought home recently i was well pleased when she went nose down straight to it ..Gralloched clean & tagged she made 68 lb ..the pup enjoyed her little liver treat ...

attachicon.gifevening doe .JPG

68 pounds what you been feeding that pup on ??

:laugh: ....... :bye: