Rabbits Above Ground??

Went out with the ferrets and dog this morning to a new permission that I have lamped a couple of times and is absolutely covered with rabbits. I was almost certain that a good bag would be taken. I ferreted 1 field set and 2 medium hedge rows and completely drew a blank! When out at night with the Lurcher the place is alive with them but I only seen one today jump into some cover. Would I be correct in thinking the rabbits could be living above ground in cover seen as we have had a mild autumn?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got permission full of warrens like that some just dont hold them during the day almost like emergency warrens for night time use,if theres as many as you say they are holed up you just got to find them,always handy to have a dog when ferreting to bush up the bunnies and put them to ground before the ferrets go in ;)

They can dig under them.. They live in the middle of the walls..

You can see some prominent exits and entry points.. You could try a poke net on..

We get a mark.. Dog and man either side..

Look through the little gaps were the dogs are marking an loosen a stone out and try and grab them.. Sometimes sit tight some times move about and it takes a few goes.. They can bolt aswell..

Lad on here used a long pin and lanced them..

Had some good hunts stone walling, got 13 once in a few hours :victory: