Deposit Down On A .243 Savage Axis

I have now put a deposit down on a .243, a Savage axis with a sonic mod and a hawke eclipse 8x56 scope. Went for this one as it was in my budget of £800 and will be used to fill my freezer.

Doea anyone else have this gun? Whats your thoughs on it?

Pick it up as soon as the post man drops my variation back

It looks slightly odd where the pistol grip falls away at the rear of the bolt, and does not have the savage accu trigger, but I expect a little careful fettling by a riflesmith will sort the trigger, if you find a load that it likes I am sure it will be a good pot filler, are you going to reload for it? As with all rifles this is key to getting the best out of them.

depends how much I use it whether I reload or not. Something i'd like to do so may look into it soon. I will try factory ammo first though. What weight bullets would you use? 100-150yrds maybe 200. The ammo is something i haven't looked into much yet.

The trigger is the only negative I have found on this rifle due to the heavy pull but I know it can be adjusted by cutting the spring down a little.

It depends what you are shooting pal, but I will assume deer as you are using it to pot fill, in factory I would try some Hornady 95gn sst fantastic deer bullet, and have yet to see a .243 that did not like them, or some Privi 100gn very cheap, but accurate in some rifles, if you start to reload mate, Sierra from the amazing 80 gn blitz and 85gn bthp, up to the superb 100 gn prohunters, will all do the business for you.

Zero half inch high @ 100 yards mate and you wont go far wrong, The Nosler 95 grain and the Hornady sst are basically the same, but I would still advise you to try a few different rounds to see what your rifle likes,the Privi are cheap but not all rifles like them, and you do get the odd flyer, also a good one to try if you can get them are RWS 105gn gecko, a good price and will not give too much meat damage on roe and Muntys.

well I picked up my rifle yesterday, got it zeroed today at 100yrds, first tried with the PRIVI rounds they were not good giving 6" groups do cleaned the gun through and started on SAKO 90grn which seemed good giving 1" groups or less.

The scope with the illuminated dot is great, at 100yrds I will try longer, up to 200yrds on sunday.

The rifle its self is good perhaps a little heavy on the trigger, this needs a little more concentration not to pull the shot but I was getting 1" groups on my first go so cant grumble.

I have a box of PRIVI .243 90 gr if any body wants them I wont be using them.

well I picked up my rifle yesterday, got it zeroed today at 100yrds, first tried with the PRIVI rounds they were not good giving 6" groups do cleaned the gun through and started on SAKO 90grn which seemed good giving 1" groups or less.

The scope with the illuminated dot is great, at 100yrds I will try longer, up to 200yrds on sunday.

The rifle its self is good perhaps a little heavy on the trigger, this needs a little more concentration not to pull the shot but I was getting 1" groups on my first go so cant grumble.

That just goes to show how barrels each have their own preferences.

My T3 Hunter .243 is fine with PRVI 90g SP, that is its main diet, 1" all day.

I'll be more than happy to relieve you and anyone else of any 90g PRVI they can't get on with.

Cheers :thumbs:

Some rifles will shoot them and some wont, mine will but only to an inch or so, I can half that with Federal factory stuff, and with my Sierra blitz hand loads, well ragged one hole groups :thumbs: interestingly my mates 6.5x55 swede will shoot the privi 156 grain things very accurately, they look ridiculous with the bullet protruding a mile out of the case, but hay ho it shoots them so..........

That just goes to show how barrels each have their own preferences.

My T3 Hunter .243 is fine with PRVI 90g SP, that is its main diet, 1" all day.

I'll be more than happy to relieve you and anyone else of any 90g PRVI they can't get on with.

Cheers :thumbs:

You can have my privi's not sure what the correct way to get them to you is? I dont think Im meant to post them. for £12 a box prob not worth the hassle. do you ever come to Bath?