Lamping Tips

I've got a led lenser p7 but for some reason I cannot get the rabbits to sit still long enough to get a shot. I have never lamped them before so they shouldn't be lamp shy. I thought about trying to make a red filter out of some red cellophane. Is this a good idea and does any body have any tips for me. I really need help

I've tried things like following the rabbit to the hedge and trying to stop it in the lamp light but that didn't work and I've also surched the web to try to. Find tips on there but to no avail. So please if some on could please help me that would be great

Thanks....

I went out other night, I had wind over my back, full (nearly) moon, mate walking like an elephant, and seen 2 foxes.

still got one tho )

my mate taught me, to lamp with the main beam next to the rabbit your after, say from 50 yards, keep the lamp on at the side of him and he thinks your lamping something else and squats down, then when you get say 25-30 yards slowly move onto him and take the shot..

this is where a dimmer helps, my lamp doesn't have one so as soon as I put the beam on them they f*ck off most of the time!

its better for me to have a mate whos good with the lamp lamping for me and me shooting. but I still get a few on my own.

filters are good too. but maybe your lamp is too powerfull for close range like mine, if I had a dimmer on it it would be better to turn it right down when your close enough to take the shot.

thing is other night, I knew where the bunnies would be, but I could not get there with the wind in my face so there was none about, only seen 2-3 normally see 12-15!

20131114_234754_zpsd831fc5d.jpg

another thing my mate does is if the rabbit starts hopping or running away he puts the lamp in front of them where they are heading, and wiggles it about quickly. sometimes this stops them or makes them turn around

yup...jig it up n down just right it takes there eyes off where theyre going and they have to stop.

problem wit the smaller led's is theyre hell off a bright to look at, (getting a dimmer just right on the night improves this), the actual 'lamping of a rabit' is the thing with the car headlights where its froz on the spot 'lamped', in truth, theyre few and far between, you actualy trying to light them up with out them being suspistous.. so the preverbial twat lamp may work once, verses the dwindly orangy light working mant more times before they suss and just leg it.

and...just because you havent been lamping there dont mean every man and his dog werent there last night...theres a hundred and one reasons why or why not, non of which help you when your stood alone not a white tail insight lol.

the wind thing...its a pace of travel, get it right and you can walk down wind with no apparent warning, but on another night dunt matter what you do.(its all about doing it so many times you dont even think about it, pure auto pilot and exsperience, bar the obvious, but even then stomping about at the tops of yu voises can have a good night, so its a case of waying the odds on average with your habits, one mans way may not work for another.......on average, but both blokes ways may well work more often over a year).