Seized Chokes

Hi,

Recently acquired a new shotgun which I haven't even used yet. Being an engineer it has occurred to me that the chokes may get seized into the barrel over time.

Trying to avoid the possibility of the problem I thought of using copper slip or thread guard on the threads as I screwed them in.

Am I being a bit pedantic here. Do chokes get seized in? Is it a good idea to use an anti seize compound?

Thanks

Chris

It is always worth adding a touch of something to keep the threads lubricated,

They do quite often become seized if the gun isn't cleaned or it gets wet and it can be quite costly to get them removed if the usual methods fail,

Same with all gun parts really, keep them maintained and oiled, they'll go forever.

Hi,

Thanks for the guidance. It seems my foresight was correct and I need to use a bit of something. Historically I have not found ordinary oil or greases very effective over the long term particularly if the items are not dissambled regularly and relubed. This is where my 2 favourites copper slip and thread guard come in.

Unless advised otherwise I will probably use thread guard. Its a molybdenum based grease that is pretty much guaranteed to prevent items seizing up. I know I have use it for used on the brake components on my boat trailer that get dipped into salt water regularly and the application of thread guard allows me to dismantle them occasionally without having to resort to brute force.

Thanks

Chris

The moly thread guard will work well, I just use a dab of lt2 grease which as you know is a moly based product, it never ceases to amaze me that people who have spent several hundres pounds or possibly a lot more on a gun, dont bother to do simple things to maintain the gun, just take the chokes out now and again clean any residue from them and apply a dab of grease, 10 minutes work that can save a fortune.

• Like 1