So I'm guessing from your post you want a solid bait to go in a cage trap rather than a break back or shooting?

Try making your own using a mix of lard, peanuts, chocolate spread etc the lard will hold all the ingredients together. Or just buy some bird fat balls.

If you do mean to shoot forget "easy" and use slop, it will give you a lot better results.

• Like 1

So I'm guessing from your post you want a solid bait to go in a cage trap rather than a break back or shooting?

Try making your own using a mix of lard, peanuts, chocolate spread etc the lard will hold all the ingredients together. Or just buy some bird fat balls.

If you do mean to shoot forget "easy" and use slop, it will give you a lot better results.

Thanks, all! :thumbs: I would like to use this bait for shooting and cage trapping.

I've found the cheapest crap cat food you can source is the best - tuna is the most pungent.

Take a fork with you and scrape off the top half inch of food into a pile that will provide a strong scent to be carried on the wind towards where the rats are but in sight of your scope.

I then stick the fork in the rest of the tin and whizz it round until it's all mushed up and forms a think foul smelling gloop. Spread this where you want and hey presto.

Chocolate spread works well if you take out a table spoon of the spread first (give it to the kids or have it yourself if you enjoy the stuff) and then stand the jar in a pan of hot water until the spread melts a bit. Now pour in three table spoons of veg oil and then give it a right good mix. When it's cooled the oil prevents the spread turning so thick and you can pour it like a thick sauce in a nice line across the place where you want it and there aren't any lumps to mash in to stop them taking a bit and buggering off, they have to lick it off.

I've also had rats eating the rats I've shot just a few minutes before so don't shoot and clear up straight away, the scent of blood may help or just the scent of other rats being out their giving them the sense of it being safe to come out could be what brings them out - a real life decoy.