Minkenry Is Spreading!

My little sport of hunting game with a trained mink, what I call minkenry, has slowly been spreading around the country, and even the world. Last season (2012-2013) started with me and a couple buddies, who quickly fell out, and once again left only me practicing the sport and one new guy just starting to attempt it with his newly caught mink. This spring started out with me, a local guy, and a guy out in Virginia, but has continued to multiply as the season moves on, instead of shrinking like it did last year.

Later that summer, a guy down in Florida bought a very large, aggressive male from me to try to hunt nutria with. So far he has only caught rats, but now that the weather is cooler down there, he is ready to try him on nutria. Also, a local falconer caught a juvenile mink that was killing chickens, and decided to keep her to hunt rabbits and ground squirrels with. He might even try to find a way to work her with his goshawks, who are always loosing rabbits when they escape down holes.

On November 2nd, I received the exciting news that a lady in Central Europe that had been asking me questions over the internet had successfully captured her first wild game!

wild_zps29409788.jpg

wild2_zps785bcd54.jpg

Then, just last week I sold 4 mink to a guy in Kentucky who plans on breeding them to hunt muskrat and rabbits, I sold one mink really big male mink to a guy in New York who plans on trying him on wood chuck, and I sold another mink to a guy in New York who plans on hunting her on city rats, and maybe some fish. Also, a local friend of mine got a mink, and plans on fishing with him.

Here's a video of all the mink I sold just recently

I'm going to be keeping the two New York mink at my house for a month or so to tame them down and start their training before they go to their new homes. And I've been getting new orders for more mink, so it looks like I'll be selling some more mink over the next few weeks.

In addition to the number of people attempting minkenry, minkenry has also been featured in a hunting magazine in the UK, and there is a ferreting magazine in Scotland that is in the process of writing an article about minkenry. I am still writing my book, and hope to finish it soon, thus making it available to the growing community of minkeners.

It sure is fun watching my sport grow and spread!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about this. Since this is a pointless argument, how about we both agree that both animals are amazing hunters. Terriers are far more fearless, tough, and game than any mink alive, and mink are far

now thats the best post you have ever put up!......... temporary armistice called

Only young timid mink have any trouble with rock squirrels, but yes, I get your point. I have no idea what a big male mink is capable of. I know a little 1.6 lb female can kill a full grown feral cat

Hi mate, do you think nutria could be a bit much for a mink? I've heard they can be a bit of a handful to some terriers! I don't want to sound like I'm putting you down at all, as I'm very interested in your new sport of minkenry, but them nutria have really hard skulls and from what I've seen on your videos that's how the mink kill isn't it? Often struggling with things like rock squirrels, do think trying for nutria is just asking for trouble? They have some big ass teeth! Lol

Atb ant

The book sounds like an interesting read, not just for minkenry but for anyone with an interest In animal psychology or anyone who works with animals I would suggest. You've achieved great things, taming and training those mink of yours :thumbs:

Hi mate, do you think nutria could be a bit much for a mink? I've heard they can be a bit of a handful to some terriers! I don't want to sound like I'm putting you down at all, as I'm very interested in your new sport of minkenry, but them nutria have really hard skulls and from what I've seen on your videos that's how the mink kill isn't it? Often struggling with things like rock squirrels, do think trying for nutria is just asking for trouble? They have some big ass teeth! Lol

Atb ant

Only young timid mink have any trouble with rock squirrels, but yes, I get your point. I have no idea what a big male mink is capable of. I know a little 1.6 lb female can kill a full grown feral cat with out so much as a scratch, and I know that mink in the wild kill muskrats that double, and even triple their body weight. But I have no idea if a big male ranch mink can handle a nutria. We'll just have to wait and see. Terriers may have trouble dispatching a nutria,but I would be surprised if the five pound male mink I sold to hunt nutria couldn't dispatch a 10-12 lb terrier. I know I've heard plenty of stories of ranch mink killing small dogs, and this mink is huge and SUPER aggressive. He's literally TWICE the size of the largest male wild mink you would ever find in nature!

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I just learned that the first known rabbit hunt with a mink in Europe was successful! The minkener who hunted with the mink is an experienced ferreter, and she used the mink like a ferret to bolt the rabbits into nets, and then in the end had her cache in her box. I don't know anymore details than that, but it's pretty exciting for me to see minkenry spreading! :-D

Sounds like the ball is rolling, how did she get hold of a mink and did she raise him/her from baby? Well done as well for the perseverance, I enjoy your posts, its good to see someone with a passion for something, whatever the subject and mustelids and co are a great subject :thumbs:

Atb ant

Only young timid mink have any trouble with rock squirrels, but yes, I get your point. I have no idea what a big male mink is capable of. I know a little 1.6 lb female can kill a full grown feral cat with out so much as a scratch, and I know that mink in the wild kill muskrats that double, and even triple their body weight. But I have no idea if a big male ranch mink can handle a nutria. We'll just have to wait and see. Terriers may have trouble dispatching a nutria,but I would be surprised if the five pound male mink I sold to hunt nutria couldn't dispatch a 10-12 lb terrier. I know I've heard plenty of stories of ranch mink killing small dogs, and this mink is huge and SUPER aggressive. He's literally TWICE the size of the largest male wild mink you would ever find in nature!

if i was you i would be bracing myself for some shit from that comment! i know a few lads on hear myself included would love to take you up on that challange

Atb ant

if i was you i would be bracing myself for some shit from that comment! i know a few lads on hear myself included would love to take you up on that challange

Aye imagine that copied and pasted in the terrier section :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Every mink should be shot... End of

Its not really the place to be posting that sort of opinion is it?

The man has an avid interest in Mink, domesticating and using for sport in the states. Its different to mink in the UK were they pose a major threat to certain wildlife.

I of course will never know unless I tried, and I have no desire to try that as ether outcome would make me sad. I like tough little terriers! They are cool little dogs, and as I'm sure you know I love mink. So for me the "test" would be a loose loose.

I've hunted with several different dogs, terriers included, though I wouldn't ever call myself an expert in that area, but I'm not a total novice ether.

I've seen the size difference between average ranch mink and wild mink, and they don't even come close. Let alone when you're talking an OUT OF THIS WORLD large and aggressive ranch mink! I may not know the outcome of a 10lb terrier and a giant mink, but I would confidently say that my big male would kill a wild male faster than your terriers could!

Atb ant

i may just do that :boxing: :snack:

Atb ant

i may just do that :boxing: :snack:

If you dont i will :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I of course will never know unless I tried, and I have no desire to try that as ether outcome would make me sad. I like tough little terriers! They are cool little dogs, and as I'm sure you know I love mink. So for me the "test" would be a loose loose.

I've hunted with several different dogs, terriers included, though I wouldn't ever call myself an expert in that area, but I'm not a total novice ether.

I've seen the size difference between average ranch mink and wild mink, and they don't even come close. Let alone when you're talking an OUT OF THIS WORLD large and aggressive ranch mink! I may not know the outcome of a 10lb terrier and a giant mink, but I would confidently say that my big male would kill a wild male faster than your terriers could!

while i dont want to pick a gripe .....or make terriers seem super men...and indeed mine aint..... but i VERY VERY much doubt a mink of any kind and size could rattle the life out of a mink faster than a experienced terrier! and ime sure 90% of the forum would back me up on this....

p.s i love the idear of hunting with mink, have you tryed it with stoats? (ermin/weasles?)