Cold War, Hot Jets..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember watching a documentey on the real top gun in navada the buccaneers were still flying and the yank in a bunker had to shoot them down in come the buccs the yanks in the the bunker cou

Anyone like the Vampire with the twin tail? Or similar era the Ameican Sabre   Lightening pure class one of my favorite aircraft but also loved the shape of the Phantom   Please don't get me star

We had a de Havilland Vampire come over our house a couple months ago it landed at sleap air field shropshire I don't no why it landed their as its a light aircraft training school. Truly great sight

Posted Images

The "V" Bombers, Vulcan Victor and the lesser known Valiant our main force to deliver the A bomb from the 60's. A master class in British Engineering

The Vulcan isnt being grounded for the engines its the airframe it needs to have a complete overhaul to its wing structure to gain its C of A and they reckon the it would cost is just not achievable. This is what really pisses me off we have enough money to fund every country around the world in terms of foreign aid yet the govt cant raise the money required to keep the Vukcan flying. :no:

They were flying an English Electric Lightining until fairly recently in South America, it was a private company and I remember a program on itn they said in full chat it would use the size of an Ford Mondeo fuel tank every 10 seconds :icon_eek:

• Like 1

Aye they had a few lightnings at Thunder City in SA, I saw a James May program when he went up for a spin in one. Damn shame about the Vulcan.. It's the same with Concorde, Richard Branson has offered obscene amounts of money to BA to buy the planes and get them flying again but they won't have it.. :(

Aye they had a few lightnings at Thunder City in SA, I saw a James May program when he went up for a spin in one. Damn shame about the Vulcan.. It's the same with Concorde, Richard Branson has offered obscene amounts of money to BA to buy the planes and get them flying again but they won't have it.. :(

the lightnings engine was started with avpin lethal stuff like hydroglycerin :laugh:

I remember watching a documentey on the real top gun in navada the buccaneers were still flying and the yank in a bunker had to shoot them down in come the buccs the yanks in the the bunker could not get them on the radar they came in that low the were shouting on coms were are they the ended up running out side. As the buccs came in. About 20 feet above the ground , iconic planes for me are the bucceneers and my all time favorite the harrier

• Like 3

Bunch of geeks :D I don't have a clue about what planes what but I like seeing them like most folk. Staying in the highlands I've seen my fair share. I can mind fishing several lochs as a kid and seeing a jet coming fast across the water towards me, soundless then the deafening roar once it's past. I can mind a family complaining a jet was using their fathers sailing dingy as target practice, don't know if it was true, they seemed convinced it happened, it was ironic that they were German :D I've seen the large white arrow concreted in the ground at kintyre showing the bombers the way during the war. I've been driving down the A9 when the fighter jets have been following the road, gets the heart going when you go round a corner and a fighter jets heading towards you :) ive seen the crash site when that practice goes wrong just up past the rest and be thankful. seen loads of nimrods around lossiemouth and also flying down the valleys at dalwhinnie. Most impressive display I've seen from a nimrod was on a loch on the west coast, can't mind which, either loch long or fynne, there is old barges all chained together about 20 meters apart, about 8 of them. Don't know if they use it for target practice. Anyhow nimrod came over them going rather slow, done this couple of times then it came past again and shot practically straight up and fired 2 flares out either side, the f****r can move for a propeller plane, don't know why it did it, looked like a signal. I've seen the jets practicing bombing at Dornoch, think that's the Americans. As I say, I know heehaw about them but it definitely brings the little boy out in you when you see them.

• Like 1

It was probably a Shackleton, the Nimrod had jet engines looks more like an airliner, the shak looks like a ww2 bomber

They were both used for submarine hunting and would be used for any air sea rescue support, I reckon it was part of a training exercise.

Bunch of geeks :D I don't have a clue about what planes what but I like seeing them like most folk. Staying in the highlands I've seen my fair share. I can mind fishing several lochs as a kid and seeing a jet coming fast across the water towards me, soundless then the deafening roar once it's past. I can mind a family complaining a jet was using their fathers sailing dingy as target practice, don't know if it was true, they seemed convinced it happened, it was ironic that they were German :D I've seen the large white arrow concreted in the ground at kintyre showing the bombers the way during the war. I've been driving down the A9 when the fighter jets have been following the road, gets the heart going when you go round a corner and a fighter jets heading towards you :) ive seen the crash site when that practice goes wrong just up past the rest and be thankful. seen loads of nimrods around lossiemouth and also flying down the valleys at dalwhinnie. Most impressive display I've seen from a nimrod was on a loch on the west coast, can't mind which, either loch long or fynne, there is old barges all chained together about 20 meters apart, about 8 of them. Don't know if they use it for target practice. Anyhow nimrod came over them going rather slow, done this couple of times then it came past again and shot practically straight up and fired 2 flares out either side, the f****r can move for a propeller plane, don't know why it did it, looked like a signal. I've seen the jets practicing bombing at Dornoch, think that's the Americans. As I say, I know heehaw about them but it definitely brings the little boy out in you when you see them.

:laugh: propellers must have fallen off

post-896-0-17078200-1384329623_thumb.jpg