More Pup Troubles! Fighing Like The Mean It!

right gents, as a lot of you will remember i got 2 lakelands that ime as proud as punch about! untill about 3 weeks back they had lived together very well (other than when i stupidly pup a 3rd pup in with them for company...you remember that thread right?!!) the dog is catching rats and handleing them bloody well he has had a half a dozen mink from down the river and their only just over 6 month. the bitch is much lighter built and is a bit behind in comeing along but still killing rats well, i recon she will be ok with time.

now the trouble is, 3 weeks back they had a fight, and i dont mean a growling screaming teeth clattering bickering fight to sort something out....i mean a silent,griped onto each others face blood every where and would not let go fight! i had to dunk them in the water butt to get them apart, and now when i let them out they are ok for the best part of ohh 10 seconds then,,thats in they mean buisness.

on walks they are fine running about doing their own stuff then for no reason the will stop...face each other off then get stuck in.. now if any of my dogs have a wee squabble i normaly let them get on with it as they normaly sort it out them selfs....what ever problem they have a wee bicker and one bosses the other and every one is happy. but this aint "bickering" fighting this is real i want to kill you fighting! if they were not getting lots of walks and a bit of work than i would have thought they were frustrated and that wee fire in them was burning bright but with no outlet.

now its worth mentioning they are getting their teeth thru, do you recon this has some thing to do with it? as it tyes in with dropping they baby teeth? i have been toying with the idear of keeping a bloody good eye on them and letting them get on with it hopeing a "top dog" will come out and that will be that or is that wishful thinking?

its a damm shame to have to split them up and means i cant walk them together (or all my mutts at once) i have to take them in 2 lots so they dont get as long out or as far sooooo any sugestions? or is it what it is and they just dont like each other?

eskdaleshowanddogs010.jpg

eskdaleshowanddogs009.jpg

rabbitskin002.jpg

rabbitskin001.jpg

• Like 1

think its just a faze they go through i bred bull russells 4mths ago always kenneled together but when they reached 8wks old they just wanted each other i couldnt break um apart ended up with 3 sore fingers for 2 wks after breaking um blood everywhere couldnt believe how much they were gunning for each other seperated them for a month and bingo now you couldnt part um think when they were seperated for the month they missed each other so far so good for now anyway worth a try ATB

It's a difficult one, personally I would never let any of my dogs take a rat and certainly not a mink before there adult teeth are through. Minks a tough little f****r, my dogs have more scars from those little fuckers than any fox they've taken

At this age they should still be playing and learning boundaries. Not going full at work.

I suspect boundaries are the problem and they need to be be pups. Slow things down.

We're they very young when they were taken away from the bitch?

ATB with them they are cracking looking pups, just remember they are pups!

Just the case of terriers some will get along fine some will kill each other good luck with whatever you do I tried keeping two terrier pups at the same time once never again same thing your going threw now tried keeping them for 4 month just got worse and worse

• Like 1

Only a matter of time before you move one of them on.....experienced the same myself & its not worth the hassle being constantly on edge watching them. Keep your favourite & place the other with a mate. Feuding terriers are a pain in the arse mate, good luck

• Like 11

cheers lads, corky john i fear your right, trouble is i dont have any freinds that i could or for that matter WOULD place them with! its a damm shame as i have equally high hopes for them both, and dont want to see eather down the road........thou i could put one in hunt service

i feel i may offer the bitch up for sale and start again with a new pup or try and find a diffrent bitch,.. neather is what i want to do ive wated 5 years for pups from the dam and paid thru my nose for them too!

as for starting them early flint has only seen and handled mink when out on walks down the river ive never taken them out to "work" , but they get stuck into rats round the farm when they see them. on their own accord.

With all due respect you need to get a handle on them now. They are pups man.... their teeth aren't even all the way in!

This is an easy fix with pups of any type.....You need to get their attention and be consistent. You can have them where they won't even look at each other inside of a week.

• Like 2

i have 8 terriërs walking loose together. normally its going ok. but sometimes.. when 2 of them start they al start and it will be a big mess. i never let them fight because they wont stop till one of them is dead.

i have tryed several things sometimes with succes.

kennel pups with a bigger stronger dog that put him to place

kick and shake them really hard once i see one is doing dominant and wants to put up a fight. you are the boss and dont want them fighting. this works really well but you have to see it before they start.

tryed to separate them for a few days but them most of the times they start fighting right away when coming out of the kennels.

• Like 1

With all due respect you need to get a handle on them now. They are pups man.... their teeth aren't even all the way in!

This is an easy fix with pups of any type.....You need to get their attention and be consistent. You can have them where they won't even look at each other inside of a week.

and sugestions on how i do that? dont think ime new to dogs or their training,and handleing, terriers and gundogs, i have a firm hand with terriers but, remember their only pups

• Like 2

Jawn I'm not the only person who has experienced this but once 2 terriers develop a hatred for each other its nigh impossible to break other than keep separated or get rid.
  • Like 5

i have 8 terriërs walking loose together. normally its going ok. but sometimes.. when 2 of them start they al start and it will be a big mess. i never let them fight because they wont stop till one of them is dead.

kick and shake them really hard once i see one is doing dominant and wants to put up a fight. you are the boss and dont want them fighting. this works really well but you have to see it before they start.

tryed to separate them for a few days but them most of the times they start fighting right away when coming out of the kennels.

Kennelling with a bigger dog.....ideal if you want a dead dog, why not just shoot the thing its more humane & quicker?
  • Like 1

Kennelling with a bigger dog.....ideal if you want a dead dog, why not just shoot the thing its more humane & quicker?

never had a dog killing a pup

never had a dog killing a pup
Well you've been lucky so far mate, most wouldn't even think about chancing it I think...

and sugestions on how i do that? i have a firm hand with terriers but, remember their only pups
Pups that are trying/going to kill each other. If it were mine the first one to start would get the lead wrapped round it's arse and a bloody good rollicking. If it ignores you tell it harder ;)