Running Rough Ground.

I know that some of the lads on here run rough ground, like rocky fells and forestry. I'm wondering what age they introduce their pups to it. Pups growing joints are vulnerable, we all know that but IMO they are better getting used to it before they can really open up and run fast.

What does anyone else think?

I start walking my pups on the ground I hunt as soon as possible and that way as they grow they learn to handle the ground far better than being let loose on it why they can run at full speed ........

• Like 5

Agree. Take pups out on the land they will later be hunting over as soon as they can go out for a walk. That way they grow up knowing what hurts, and how to negotiate it safely: be it wire, stones, boggy ground, trees, whatever. I cringe when mine are going full bore through broken down trees laced with wire and God knows what else. They learn to slow down when necessary, and have eyes in their feet: also teaches them very good spatial awareness.

• Like 2