Help To Work Out My Mildots Please

.22 ?? Zero at 27/28 yards

.177 zero at 33-36 yds

. Put a target at 30 , 35, 40 etc and closer ones aswell 10,15,20 25

Aim at the bull of all the targets and shoot 3-5 shots.

The further ones will drop more. The closer ones may be slightly above the taget

Set your scope at your prefered magnification and hold as steady as you can with the cross at the bull. And then see which mildot is at the pellet group at each range!

For example my .22 is zero at 28

35 is 1 mildot 45 is 2 mildots.

Obviously .177 dont drop as much as .22

I dont have the ability to put out targets at set distances in my small garden and at the club the targets are already set out at unknown distances.

I watched a si pitaway video on how to work out mildot distances using chairgun but the version I have seems to look different to his video so I cant figure it out.

All I want to know is how many mildots to hold over at various distances. Its a .177 zerod at 33 yards ish. The scope is a 4-12x magnification.

In the video I watched, si sets up his scope so that every half mil dot is 5 yards I think. And then apparantly you can print off a disc to stick on your scope cap as a permenant reminder of the mildot distances.

Edited by dangerousdan

Appreciate the link but im not trying to estimate range using the mildots. Im trying to understand how many mildots holdover I need for a given (known) range.

On si pitaways video (will post link later as im on mobile phone at the moment), he sets up his scope using chairgun so that every half mil dot is equal to 5 yards range.

to do it the chairgun way you have to know the exact power of rifle, the exact scope height from centre of scope to centre of barrel, the exact BC and weight of pellets..

its all very scientific the chairgun way. if you put in accurate data you get good results.

shame your garden is so small , but cant you measure the distances to the targets that are already set out at your club range??

by either a laser rangefinder or a tapemeasure when nobody is shooting obviously so its safe.

then you can zero at your preffered range and then work your mildots out on each target when you know how far they are, then write it all down in a little notepad.

you could even play with your magnification settings after you have shot a group at each target to try get 5 yard intervals if that's what you want..

obviously it will be best to use a rock-steady bench rest with a cusion, or a bipod depending on the rifle your using

The issue I have with the targets at the club is being able to see where my pellet has impacted, as obviously there are so many other people there. On the metal hft targets I can hardly ever spot my impact point. This is obviously making it hard to learn my mildots, which is why I wanted to use chairgun to give me some ballpark ideas.

The issue I have with the targets at the club is being able to see where my pellet has impacted, as obviously there are so many other people there. On the metal hft targets I can hardly ever spot my impact point. This is obviously making it hard to learn my mildots, which is why I wanted to use chairgun to give me some ballpark ideas.

Then you need to post on here, or know and use chair gun yourself:

The pellets you are using,

The speed in feet per second that the gun is shooting them at,

The height of the scope center above the center of the barrel,

The magnification you have set the scope to (unless it's a first focal plane scope like from Falcon)

Then most of us could post up a graph for you.The more accurate the data, the better the graph.

If you don't know these values, or can't find out, then you will need to do the real world shooting.

when I'm shooting at the club and want targets out at different ranges, I take an empty box and stick a target to it. I can then put it out where ever I've measure and shoot it.

Edited by SimonC_Here

Hi. I do have the chairgun software and I know how to produce the trajectory curves, but not how to turn this into mildots or how to make each mildot x yards.

The pellets I use are aa field .177 and the gun produces 11.7 ftlbs with these pellets. The scope is a 4 to 12 mag mounted 1.75 inches centrelines above the barrel.

The magnification you have set the scope to (unless it's a first focal plane scope like from Falcon)

Then most of us could post up a graph for you.The more accurate the data, the better the graph.

If you don't know these values, or can't find out, then you will need to do the real world shooting.

when I'm shooting at the club and want targets out at different ranges, I take an empty box and stick a target to it. I can then put it out where ever I've measure and shoot it.

whenever I do this my mate always thinks its funny to shoot my fuuukin target when im trying to check my zero. little prick haha

good advice tho, just tell the other guys to leave it alone lol

attachicon.gifaa @ 11.7.pdfattachicon.gifaa @ 11.7.docx range card.pdf

These should help you, Optimum Zero of 37 yards shooting AA pellet at 11.7 ftlbs

Scope set at 12 x mag

Range card found in dropdown in toolbox tab

Thanks for doing this for me. I have been able to replicate it on my pc. How do I make it now so that the mildots are evenly spaced so each half mil dot is say 5 yards?

whenever I do this my mate always thinks its funny to shoot my fuuukin target when im trying to check my zero. little prick haha

good advice tho, just tell the other guys to leave it alone lol

There is that! :) or print out one of the targets with 16 dots on it. plenty for everyone.

attachicon.gifaa @ 11.7.pdfattachicon.gifaa @ 11.7.docx range card.pdf

These should help you, Optimum Zero of 37 yards shooting AA pellet at 11.7 ftlbs

Scope set at 12 x mag

Range card found in dropdown in toolbox tab

Thanks for doing this for me. I have been able to replicate it on my pc. How do I make it now so that the mildots are evenly spaced so each half mil dot is say 5 yards?

Change the magnification factor, or move your zero range.

Edited by SimonC_Here