243 Advice Please

If it's factory ammo you are after try the Norma 58gr V-Max Hornady, they stop foxes well.

035-Norma-243-58gr_zpsd724543c.jpg

I used to use 80gr bergers in my 1:10 twist but now it's a 1:8 I will opt for 105A-Max, but I home load.

The problem is that a lot of people will have different opinions which could and sometimes does lead to even more confusion.

Regards

243ACK

Right any advice about the best round to stop foxes? I need a flat good quality hard hitting bullet not worried about the cost just need to no what you think as to the weight of the tip and make cheers.

You have not mentioned distances, but the 55g or bit more common 58g V max types are hard to beat in many situations.

But it's a .243, 2000ft lb., give or take a bit, use whatever you like it will stop a fox easy!!

• Like 1

Right any advice about the best round to stop foxes? I need a flat good quality hard hitting bullet not worried about the cost just need to no what you think as to the weight of the tip and make cheers.

You have not mentioned distances, but the 55g or bit more common 58g V max types are hard to beat in many situations.

But it's a .243, 2000ft lb., give or take a bit, use whatever you like it will stop a fox easy!!

Dekers right,only thing I would do is try a few different rounds see which one suited the gun best, I used 243 for a few yrs and had a couple of different guns, both guns,were not there best with the lighter rounds,but loved 75 grn hollow points for foxes and 85 grn soft points for deer,they were both crap with 100 grn bullets,my mates Tika 243 was the opposite,down to the twist rates of the barrels I pressume,ideally you want little or nothing coming out the back of the fox so hollowpoint or a Vmax / Amax tip,

I agree with Deker its a .243 mate don't worry too much about bullet choice, the vmax type bullets like the 58 grain will stop them like a light switch going off as they expand very quickly, but deer bullets will also kill them quickly, but be aware that the deer bullet will pass through a fox even @ 200 yards so be very sure of your backstop (as you would of course with any bullet) they may run 10 yards or so with their chin on the deck with deer bullets but will be dead as they are running.

i home load and i use 58 grn v-max and love them would'nt use anything else i have it set up at about 1 inch in high at 100 yards and at 280 you have a 1 inch drop which for me is bob on ive only had 1 fox out of 95 shot this season not die on bullet impact so there the best i have found for the deer i use 80 grn barns triple shock and they are bob on aswell

You'll have no problem with energy. Try bullets out and find out which ones your gun/barrel/shooting style works best with. Any bullet from a .243 will kill a fox, if you put it in the right place, so concentrate on getting that bit right.

If you home load, you can make up ridiculously accurate loads. Which weight you use depends upon the twist of the barrel. A tight twist suits the heavier rounds, a more open twist tends to work better with the lighter loads. That said my Parker Hale is equally at home when fed 55gr VMax or 100gr Corelokt SPBT's and will single hole either bullet at 100 yards.

Nobody can tell you "this round will work in your gun, but this one won't", and whilst some have a thing against the less expensive pre-loads (PRVI) I've never seen anything well hit with one walk away!

• 4 weeks later...

Any 243 round will stop a fox with good placement so look for a accurate round instead one that suits your rifle. That's what I was thought.

Does that say .........look for an accurate round instead of one that suits your rifle. That's what I was taught.

Can you ask whoever taught you that what it means. Cheers!

• Like 1

Any 243 round will stop a fox with good placement so look for a accurate round instead one that suits your rifle. That's what I was thought.

Does that say .........look for an accurate round instead of one that suits your rifle. That's what I was taught.

looks like deker is getting hung up on diction and punctuation!!!!!!! dont worry Luto we know what you meant bud.

looks like deker is getting hung up on diction and punctuation!!!!!!! dont worry Luto we know what you meant bud.

I was looking for clarification of the comment and it's meaning! I don't give a toss about his punctuation or spelling!

look for a accurate round instead one that suits your rifle.

Perhaps you can tell me what it means then!

Edited by Deker