Educating Running Dogs

Ive been trying to get my ex racer to become a better hunting dog on rabbits near where I live. He's really quick off the mark and loves chasing. He's yet to nail one, but regardless of that, when he's loose I can never catch him again! I work with horses, and in our industry, there are people who you can send horses to who educate them or solve any issues, ie. stalls or jumping. Just wondered if there are such people for dogs? Because I sure as hell don't know what I'm doing!

Ive been trying to get my ex racer to become a better hunting dog on rabbits near where I live. He's really quick off the mark and loves chasing. He's yet to nail one, but regardless of that, when he's loose I can never catch him again! I work with horses, and in our industry, there are people who you can send horses to who educate them or solve any issues, ie. stalls or jumping. Just wondered if there are such people for dogs? Because I sure as hell don't know what I'm doing!

What have you tried?

It takes time and effort. Sending a dog to someone else and asking them to train it is lazy as f**k IMO.

And even then just because the dog behaves for them it doesn't mean it will for you. It could know you are a push over and just take the piss.

A mate of mine has just been referred to Jim Greenwood to see if he can help him with his young dog, sometimes it's the owner that needs trained an not the dog, if you feel you could be helped by somebody showing/teaching you how to get the best from your mutt, then go for it, and fook folk that tell you it's lazy.... some newbies think they know it all, at least your honest enough to admit you don't. Any way atb with the dog

Edited by Hot Meat
  • Like 4

Liking that idea lapin. What time you thinking?

Not sure mate, certainly be after 9 once kids are in bed. The weathers shocking here though so dont be expecting too much.

Will just go to one of my local perms and see how he/she responds when there is only a small amount of rabbits about to chase.

Does he normally come back to you in places he knows?

Lapin - he comes to me in the house but he's really nervous. Even if he comes back, I got to grab his collar and he gets scared and runs off again. Was out sun morning at 4am and it took me 30 mins to catch him. Where I want to take him near where I work is wide open so can't rush it yet. Grand with larger stock.

Racers wouldn't have much in the way of training I'd of thought,you would need to start from scratch stay away from things to chase Untill it comes back no questions asked in garden park ect.

As hot meat says no harm in finding someone to help you out,gun dog trainer might help you out with a few tips .

• Like 2

Lapin - he comes to me in the house but he's really nervous. Even if he comes back, I got to grab his collar and he gets scared and runs off again. Was out sun morning at 4am and it took me 30 mins to catch him. Where I want to take him near where I work is wide open so can't rush it yet. Grand with larger stock.

OK cool will see how we get on, will make it friday though (i honestly thought it was friday when i typed that lol) that way we can make more of a night of it, even if it doesnt really work out you can keep him on the lead and go round some different places.

If you work with horses, then I would have thought you may have some idea of how to approach a frightened animal. The last thing you should do is reach out and try and grab the dog when it comes to you. Before doing anything else you need to build a bond of trust, and you'll only do that yourself, with a lot of time and patience.

If the dog has been badly handled, abused or even neglected in some way, in the past, you will have to not only build the bond, but get the dog past whatever it is frightened of.

I would definitely contact Jim Greenwood. He is not only a very good lurcher man, but also a dog 'whisperer' or behaviourist as they are usually known. He's based not far from you. He will see you and your dog together, and give advice, training tips on how to approach the dog, how to get it past its fears, and most importantly, train you at the same time. Here's a link to his website: http://www.jandjgreenwood.co.uk/contact.php

It would be fairly pointless to send the dog away to someone else to rehabilitate, because, as you say, you need the help as much as the dog. Good luck.

• Like 4

OK cool will see how we get on, will make it friday though (i honestly thought it was friday when i typed that lol) that way we can make more of a night of it, even if it doesnt really work out you can keep him on the lead and go round some different places.

Glad you said that, took him out at four this morning and were both about to collapse! But yes, very keen to make him a good hunting dog. If coursing was still legal he'd be deadly (if you could ever catch him again). Just a very nervous dog who needs a lot of figuring out.