First Solo Kill

Daz39

As pretty much everyone on here knows, I have only been into air rifles since April and last night was only my 8th hunt, but the most important to date, as I bagged my first solo kill. So far every rabbit or bird has been taken after Bigmac spotted it (in most cases), stalked up to it with me hovering just off his shoulder, told me when to kneel or go prone and what the distance was to help with the mil dots. Well last night the prodigal son showed he had been listening to the master!

After zeroing the scopes, we split up, before I’d even gone 50m from the cars I spotted a rabbit on the road coming into the farm. It was around 50 yards away so I went into the tree line and stalked to within about 30 yards. I went prone and was just about to get the rabbit in the cross hairs when pair of dogs in one of the houses went mental, barking and howling and scaring the rabbit to death. He was away before I could blink.

I then went off to my favourite spot on the farm. The long bottom field. Bigmac doesn’t like coming down here as it’s about the furthest point on the permission and the walk back was christened “the long walk” for obvious reasons, I should know, the long walk is even longer when you have naught to show for the exercise.

bottom field

The bottom field, roughly 200 yrd long, home of many a rabbit....for now.

This time I went in the bottom end of the field as the wind was blowing North to South so I wanted to stay downwind of the rabbits. When it got to within 70 yards I scanned the full hedge row and as the previous trip out, spotted 3 groups of rabbits, with 3-6 rabbits in each. I tried to stalk to the first set but didn’t get within 50 yards before they pegged it. I went and lay up about 30 yards from where they went in and waited. During the wait, I picked out a few bushes and fence poles to use as distance markers and tried to estimate the ranges. When one of the rabbits did come out I looked through the scope, figured which land mark was closest and took a shot. I missed but didn’t understand, when I looked up without the scope, I realised I had used 2 different purple bushes as markers, one at 30 yrd, one at 50 yrd – I’d got the two mixed up through the scope and messed up my shot. Even with trying to prepare I’d still made an error.

I could still see 2 other sets of rabbits, one around 100 yrds away, the other 150 yrds. I set off to stalk the closest ones but they were alarmed and away before I’d gone 10 yards. I checked my scope and saw that the 3 at the top of the field were still sat eating so off I went. I took ages to cover the 100-120 yrd, in 10-15 yrd groups, using the noise of cars/planes/motorbikes etc to mask my own noise and move a little quicker. I got to within 40 yrds when 2 of the 3 rabbits ran. I went prone to try to take a shot on the 3rd but the grass was too long, so I just waited and hoped he would move further out. After 3-4 mins he just got sick of eating and went to the hedge. I thought I’d stay until darkness came so I would alternate looking through the scope then putting my head down for 5 mins (as my back and neck ached). After 15 mins or so I looked up, over the top of my glasses and saw a brown blur. When I pushed my glasses up, there was a big buck about 35 yrds away. I quickly got him in the scope, he was stood up lovely, and I took aim, with a “pfft” of the rifle he just rolled over dead. There were no other rabbits around so I stood and paced over to him, 38 yrds or there about. I had hit him a little lower than I aimed but it was still in the kill zone and a single clean shot.

rabbit 4

Rabbit #4 and the 100T.

rabbit 4 head shot

Nice head shot, about 5mm lower than I aimed.

The light was about done by this point so I walked back with a huge smile on my face, to await Mac’s praise. I had to wait ages for him to get back to the car, carrying 2 rabbits on his belt, to go with the other one he always gets driving IN to the farm. As Mac said, 4 perfect almost identical head shots, a good clean job. After some food we went out together in the dark, Mac taking the 97 and leaving the Raider in the car. The moon was out and casting our shadows and lighting us up, so pretty much all the rabbits we saw were spooked before we got close. I took him back down to the bottom field and we again saw plenty of rabbits, all ran before we got in range. We did lay up for a bit, but decided it was time to move when Bigmac fell asleep and started snoring.

Around 1am Mac suggested I try one last walk, saying I now needed to get my first stalked kill, vs a lay up. My red lamp wasn’t great so I switched to the green one and saw a rabbit about 80 yards away, around 30 yrds out from the hedge. I started to stalk it and it made off towards the hedge. I stood still and followed it to 15 yrd from the hedge. Again I moved closer and again he went to the hedge, this time around 5 yrds away. The clouds then parted, leaving me fully illuminated in the moon light, by now I judged I was about 35 yards away, sadly Upwind of him, and lit up like a prison escapee in a search light. I went prone thinking I was not going to get any closer without spooking him more, I had no cover, probably stunk (to the rabbit) so I took a shot from where I was. I watched the pellet in the green lamp light fly towards the rabbit but arc away something chronic, hitting about 3cm low and 3cm left of my aim point (I now see the benefit of follow through). I hit the rabbit (though to be honest it may have been a clip at best) high up his back and after he jumped high, he ran the last 5 yards into the hedge and away.

I paced over to where he went in and it was around 36 yrds. In hind sight, I wish I had tried to get closer and not let the worry of him bolting worry me. There is no point taking a long shot and hurting the rabbit, better to stalk in range (which to be fair I had done) and run the risk of spooking him. I had to assume that the flight of the pellet was due to a bent skirt or something as none of my other pellets that night flew with an arc, certainly not over 30-40 yrds.

Around 2am we called it quits. There were still 3-4 rabbits that got away, but my stalking is getting better and I am adjusting to night hunting where the green lamp is working well.

I went home happy that I took my first kill, one that I spotted, stalked, patiently waited for, then dispatched with a perfect single head shot. I might just be getting the hang of this lark.

Edited by Daz39
  • Like 7

Good going Mate, I'm putting some solid hours in this week.

Do you zero sights everytime you go out ? I only usually do mine once a month (if that), might have to set something up on permission, I usually go to shooting range but it gets expensive.

I think it's text book to zero your sights every time u go down, save an early start when it's pitch black and u want to get in before making a noise!, u never know u might have clipped the scope coming out the cabinet or anything

As for daz ... Dam awesome buddy onwards and upwards from now on!

• Like 1

Been waiting all morning for this write up. Well done mate good read as always! I'm wanting to get out tonight for an hour before I have to pick up the wife.

I know, despite wanting to sleep all day, I want to go back out now too!

Do you zero sights everytime you go out ? I only usually do mine once a month (if that), might have to set something up on permission, I usually go to shooting range but it gets expensive.

Yes every trip! And to be honest, I need a small adjustment EVERY TRIP. I found that odd, but I always need a couple of clicks up/down/left/right etc. I have an old chopping board which split in two. I just stick a couple of shoot "n" see 2" targets on it (So I can zero in the dark with a lamp too!!). Then carry it from the car to a safe place with a good backdrop. Vislauk and Bigmac paced out 30 yrds and moved one of the picnic benches so that it is that distance from the fence where we put the board. Its really quick and easy and not heavy to carry around.

Edited by Daz39
  • Like 1

I think it's text book to zero your sights every time u go down, save an early start when it's pitch black and u want to get in before making a noise!, u never know u might have clipped the scope coming out the cabinet or anything

As for daz ... Dam awesome buddy onwards and upwards from now on!

Thanks Craig, yeah I feel like it is coming on. I get less stressed and panicy now, if I spook one, so be it, I'll get the next. Early days and still lots to learn from Obi-Wan, but loving every second out on the farm.