Please Point Me In The Right Direction For A Break Barrel.

I'm looking to buy a Weihrauch break barrel, and would appreciate advice from forum members.

I have a HW98 in 177 and like it very much. It's great from the sitting position but I'm finding the balance more difficult for any other kind of shots (front heavy) as I get older. I'm retired now.

I also have a HW77k in 177 which I will never part with. Similar problem though. Not front heavy - just heavy.

I intend to buy a HW30s, also in 177, for back garden plinking. I've read wonderful reports about these little guns.

So what I'm looking for to bridge the gap between light weight and heavy weight is one of the following: HW95, 99 or 35

I've had two 95s in the past, both in 177 and in the old stock with barrel weight. They were both untuned and I couldn't get the sort of groups I wanted with them. I really wanted to like the 95 and have considered trying again, maybe in 22 this time. I've also considered getting a 177 tuned, and powered down to 10.5ft lbs. But it's hard to buy again, when you've been bitten twice. I know most people rave about these guns but the muzzle flip on them seems to defeat me.

Never fancied the 99s in the past, but now that the galling issue on the cylinder has been sorted at the factory, and I've read so many good reviews of them, they're starting to look like a possibility. I know they're lighter than a 95, but they are designed to shoot at no more than about 11ft lbs, and some people say they find them more accurate than a 95. I understand SFS do their own tuned version now, called the IMP. Question is - 177 or 22?

The 35 full length is the odd one out, but I'm one of the few people who actually like its old fashioned look. It's heavyish but well balanced and was designed for sub 12ft lbs. Lots of people still swear by this gun. If I bought one it would definitely be in 177.

So that's it. I don't hunt so 177 is the preferred calibre, but there's no reason why a person can't plink with 22 at UK power levels. Thousands of people do, and find it very enjoyable. The thought of having a 22 again, after many years, has some appeal. Springers tend to be easier to shoot in the larger calibre, and I love the way 22 pellets knock a target down.

So what do you reckon? I'll try of course before I buy, but I'd welcome any advice you might be able to give me.

Edited by emilianoksa

Hi emilianoksa.

HW80! .22 or .177 it's a masterpiece.

Never mind the duff gen from the noodle-armed brigade about how heavy it is. It's not over-hefty and its pointability makes it as graceful as any rifle in the aim. Best and most beautiful break barrel out there, as far as I'm concerned.

Simon

• Like 2

Me and Davy tried the SFS IMP last saturday. They are only making it in .22. It blew our minds.

I videoed it all for VHTV and captured Davy saying its smoother and with less recoil than his SFS S2 tuned HW97KT.

I shot 7 pellets with it only at 20 yards as thats what the paper target was set out at and it made a group the size of my little finger nail with only 3 visible pellet holes all in top of each other.

Id say it was smoother than my HW98 and it wasnt even bedded in.

My mate bought an imp from Tony on sat from the midland game fair, and we were out last night with it, it does only come in .22, but boy does it shoot well for a springer, was well impressed, its been shortened and its very light with very little recoil and I'm considering a trip to sandwell myself to get one, so would definitely recommend one to anyone wanting a light springer.

• Like 1

Me and Davy tried the SFS IMP last saturday. They are only making it in .22. It blew our minds.

I videoed it all for VHTV and captured Davy saying its smoother and with less recoil than his SFS S2 tuned HW97KT.

I shot 7 pellets with it only at 20 yards as thats what the paper target was set out at and it made a group the size of my little finger nail with only 3 visible pellet holes all in top of each other.

Id say it was smoother than my HW98 and it wasnt even bedded in.

Really looking forward to seeing that video. :yes:

• Like 1

Thanks again.

Pianoman, what do you make of those who say the HW80 is great on FAC but slow and sluggish at 12ftlbs?

Hi emilianoska.

First of all, the HW80 .22 I have is one in a million. Various gunsmiths, including Jim Hogan (Logun's inventor and designer.) have worked-on and serviced its component parts over the years and all them have commented on how particularly well-made and accurate she is. One of those very precious moments when something was made with a lot of care and skill; and a one-off, way-above the rest, came off the production line. Jim Hogan loved it. He reckoned it's the best HW80 he's ever known. He's not the only eminent gunsmith and shooting figure who has come to the same conclusions. Airgun writer Terry Le Cheminant has shot with it and offered me a serious wedge for it. It's not for sale. Ever!

Mine is currently on my FAC and at 21.3 ft/lbs it is magnificent. It's her 16th Birthday today! I was out for a shoot with her today and still as powerful enough for any vermin and accurate to whatever I can steady her at.

You cannot get any more accuracy than a true single pellet hole at a 30-metre zero with H&N FTT 5.53 pellets. The sub 12 ft/lbs versions of these rifles I've had and shot with, were far from sluggish. :huh:

What is so slow and sluggish about 11.4 ft/lbs from an HW80 with superb accuracy, that is any worse than any fine rifle shooting at this level of output?

:hmm: It must be in the way the rifle is set up.

It is possible there are fellows with experience of poorly set-up HW80 rifles in sub-12 version and this experience has tarnished their view. That happens with ALL air rifles from time to time. But in my experience of shooting the 80' .22 at both sub-12 and FAC power levels, I can only sing its praises for the superb HW80 rifles I've known. I would buy another HW80 in all calibres over all the rest of HWs break-barrel rifles!

The HW80 has been around for over 25 years now and has a devoted following all over the world for its reliable accuracy and rugged, go-anywhere, shoot anytime capability. I love it. It is a good companion on many a shooting day and it's given me some priceless memories on Rabbit safaris this past 16 years.

Go find one and try it for yourself and see for yourself, is my best advice here emilianoska :thumbs:

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman