Sign in to follow this  
poacher22

M.o.t Testers

Im at college cg nvq motor Vehicle and have been asked to find out what the laws are on Minimum thickness ov brake disks and how much run out is aloud on a disk so if any one can tell me i would be very Grateful

minimum thickness & run out tolerance is subject to each manufacturers specification.

Yes but my tutor said there was a Minimum thickness for all disks (eg. He said that some Manufactures Specifications on pads are as low as 1.5mm but as a Mechanic it is law to Advise a customer to change them and it was Illegal for them to be less then 3mm)

The need to be below 1.5mm to fail an mot, which is a legal document I would advise pads @ 3mm but it's not legal requirement.

minimum thickness varies from disc to disc , its normally stamped on the disc... run out is 6 thousands of an inch ...

minimum thickness varies from disc to disc , its normally stamped on the disc... run out is 6 thousands of an inch ...

Thank you Much appreciated 👍

most of the time the wear limit on a vented disc works out at 2mm below new, and if your tutor is giving you that sort of incorrect bullshit over whats law then its time he retired or got a job in a kwik-fit type garage

• Like 1