Top And Bottom Lines On A Longnet

DanAdams

The traditional net has evolved over the years to become the net it is today. It's not perfect, but with a little though and a little inginuety will be usable in most situations. When you start change the format of the net like adding leadline and the such, it changes the dynamics of the net and usually causes more problems than it solves.

Take Banters net, he used a 3mm line on one side of the net as that is all he had at hand, nothing wrong with that, but it does cause the problem in that he can only shoot the net one way with the heavier line as the foot line.

Most experienced netters use anything up to 2mm as the heavier the line is the more it will sag, again causing problems. Those netters will know that each drop has an access point, sometime on the left and sometimes on the right. I don't know if I can explain what I am trying to explain but I will give it a go.

Your first drop is a left to right runout so you place the end pin in the ground and start to run the net out. you haave two different coloured lines on the net a white one and a red one. The belly of the net is laying between the two lines. That means the white line furthest away from you is the foot line and the red line nearest you is the headline.

Next drop is a is a right to left drop. So you place the end pin in the ground with the belly of the net between the two lines but now,the red line is furthest away from you and the white nearest because you have turned the net 180 degrees.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say any question just ask and I will do my best to try and explain.

TC

• Like 1

Very well explained. would you not have the problem of the spliced line (2mm to 3mm) moving around the net ?...ill explain..if you splice the 2mm to 3mm and it is one continues loop (which it should be) eventually the line creeps around the net..only a bit at a time but over a season your splice may have started off at your end pin and could end up 30 yrd in any direction from that pin....that's why imo the running line should be one size only....this is not a dig at you banter as you have given a good enough reason as to why you've done it.

• Like 2

if the 3mm is to sag as it weighs more just make sure its tight on the top... throw an extra loop around the pegs and dont worry as it will go no were unless you have many rabbits in the net..

i would use a net like this although not ideal, maybe some plastic thread to stitch the ends together and then you can just overlap the ends and not splice. if you do it tight enough you will i guess be able to compress the line to minimise the snagging..

then again it could just be a quick set banters on with :huh:

often i tried to have a perfect net but there are so many variables like sheet or hand made then polly or engels, double knitt or not 4 inch or bigger..and the truth be known it just hurts my head as im finding it too deep.

now im happy just to have a good net so i can get out...

• Like 4