Hardly Worth A Write Up... :(

Daz39

Lessons learned last night – I had an off night.

1. Need to work on my stalking, struggled to get within 40 yards of most rabbits during the daylight, despite hugging hedges, tiptoeing through the grass and being as stealthy as a ninja.
  2. Need to work on ranging in the dark, couldn’t tell a yard from a mile last night and messed up hold over too many times.
  3. Still made the “look a pigeon” error, by the time I’d lifted the rifle, there was a pfft, whack, flutter, big thump. And a big grinning Mac “I told you, see it-shoot it, don’t talk about it”.
  4. My hiking boots are not as water proof as I thought, I may have trench foot today.
  5. I need a red lamp, the rabbits on the permission do not like white light, yellow light or green light. To be honest, they are not even that keen on red, but it was the best light to use last night.
  6. Rabbits have a 6th sense and have the ability to turn their head just before pellet impact.
  7. I need to work on my kneeling shot, going prone on wet grass isn’t much fun.
  8. You can’t hunt in mist….you might as well pull a blindfold on.
  9. Mac likes flapjack, no, Mac loves flapjack. Almost as much as Mac likes hunting.

You know those shows at the circus, where a woman stands against a wall and a guy throws knives which just miss her? That was me and the rabbits last night (no I wasn’t throwing knives, but I may have had more luck with them). I saw plenty of rabbits, managed to get shots off on a few, but I watched pellets hit twigs just above the rabbits head, hit grass just under the rabbits head. I had one rabbit bang in crosshairs, pulled the trigger and the lucky sod turned his head just at that second and it clipped his whiskers. “You missed it” – cheers Mac.

I did make one change from the other night, the rabbit that I saw and stalked, only to stand up and scare off, well it was there again last night. This time, stalk, PRONE, crosshairs, trigger, PING. Hit the bloody 2mm thick wire fence, the one I stood to avoid shooting through last time…another lucky bunny.

Wasn’t to be last night, I did get one hit, but again the rabbit moved & turned just as I shot and I hit shoulder rather than head. After a big jump and flip he ran off the permission into the woods. I know he’ll feel worse than me this morning.

One thing I did do last night was to use the sport GPS tracker I normally use for cycling, to see how far I covered. I walked 8.52 miles in 7 hours 32 mins, walking an average 1.1 mile an hour and burning 1919 calories (Which I made up by eating flapjack). I showed the map (See photo) to Mac and he was like “wow, is that how far WE walked tonight?” – Errrm no, it is how far “I” walked tonight, I did the bottom field 3 times, you were never more than 50 yards from the car haha. We called it a night at 2am as the fog & mist rolled in.

No such thing as a bad hunting trip, though there are ones you would rather not repeat.

workout

Workout details

Map

Map of the night

• Like 5

Lessons learned last night – I had an off night.

1. Need to work on my stalking, struggled to get within 40 yards of most rabbits during the daylight, despite hugging hedges, tiptoeing through the grass and being as stealthy as a ninja.
  2. Need to work on ranging in the dark, couldn’t tell a yard from a mile last night and messed up hold over too many times.
  3. Still made the “look a pigeon” error, by the time I’d lifted the rifle, there was a pfft, whack, flutter, big thump. And a big grinning Mac “I told you, see it-shoot it, don’t talk about it”.
  4. My hiking boots are not as water proof as I thought, I may have trench foot today.
  5. I need a red lamp, the rabbits on the permission do not like white light, yellow light or green light. To be honest, they are not even that keen on red, but it was the best light to use last night.
  6. Rabbits have a 6th sense and have the ability to turn their head just before pellet impact.
  7. I need to work on my kneeling shot, going prone on wet grass isn’t much fun.
  8. You can’t hunt in mist….you might as well pull a blindfold on.
  9. Mac likes flapjack, no, Mac loves flapjack. Almost as much as Mac likes hunting.

You know those shows at the circus, where a woman stands against a wall and a guy throws knives which just miss her? That was me and the rabbits last night (no I wasn’t throwing knives, but I may have had more luck with them). I saw plenty of rabbits, managed to get shots off on a few, but I watched pellets hit twigs just above the rabbits head, hit grass just under the rabbits head. I had one rabbit bang in crosshairs, pulled the trigger and the lucky sod turned his head just at that second and it clipped his whiskers. “You missed it” – cheers Mac.

I did make one change from the other night, the rabbit that I saw and stalked, only to stand up and scare off, well it was there again last night. This time, stalk, PRONE, crosshairs, trigger, PING. Hit the bloody 2mm thick wire fence, the one I stood to avoid shooting through last time…another lucky bunny.

Wasn’t to be last night, I did get one hit, but again the rabbit moved & turned just as I shot and I hit shoulder rather than head. After a big jump and flip he ran off the permission into the woods. I know he’ll feel worse than me this morning.

One thing I did do last night was to use the sport GPS tracker I normally use for cycling, to see how far I covered. I walked 8.52 miles in 7 hours 32 mins, walking an average 1.1 mile an hour and burning 1919 calories (Which I made up by eating flapjack). I showed the map (See photo) to Mac and he was like “wow, is that how far WE walked tonight?” – Errrm no, it is how far “I” walked tonight, I did the bottom field 3 times, you were never more than 50 yards from the car haha. We called it a night at 2am as the fog & mist rolled in.

No such thing as a bad hunting trip, though there are ones you would rather not repeat.

Workout details

Map of the night

Wow 7:32 hours your arms must be massive lol, I had about 4 hours and was starting to struggle so we called it a night.

Totally agree with filters, I had yellow last night and was only picking sheep's eyes up, we both ended up using my friends red which projects a massive red box, looks like a 60" plasma blasting rounf field and the rabbits don't even flinch, mine was like a stobe light scaring everything off for 3 miles.

I had my wellies on last night and for extra comfort I put some old nike air in soles in them, they was like slippers :thumbs:

Like you said on my post, good to see I'm not the only trainee, this time next year we'll be pro's :victory:

• Like 2

You did loads of things wrong last night, well when i walked around with you eny way most of what i have shown you over the last few weeks you must have thrown out the window of your car on the way to the farm 1.you need to be silent when staking 2,you were taking to long to take the shot giving the target time to move or run off 3,YOU NEED TO LEARN THE YARD,ISH AND STORE IT IN YOUR HEAD it works ,well for me it dose 4,STOP TELLING ME THERE IS A RABBIT OR PIGEON i told you last night at the start i don't take eny shit if you don't shoot I WILL 5, you told me last night that you feel your letting me down WELL YOUR NOT MATE and i mean YOU ARE NOT your turning into a proper hunter and every thing that ,that brings with it WE ALL MISS EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US and WE ALL HAVE BAD NIGHTS i shood know iv had plenty of them and still plenty to come to its all part of hunting ,i missed two sitters last night i was to confer-dent as i squeezed the trigger but missed it happens to us all don't feel bad just say O well ill get you next time and move on and most of all don't let it get to you as that can throw you off to don't try to hard as that can to just take a step back calm down and move on atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 4

Wow 7:32 hours your arms must be massive lol, I had about 4 hours and was starting to struggle so we called it a night.

Totally agree with filters, I had yellow last night and was only picking sheep's eyes up, we both ended up using my friends red which projects a massive red box, looks like a 60" plasma blasting rounf field and the rabbits don't even flinch, mine was like a stobe light scaring everything off for 3 miles.

I had my wellies on last night and for extra comfort I put some old nike air in soles in them, they was like slippers :thumbs:

Like you said on my post, good to see I'm not the only trainee, this time next year we'll be pro's :victory:

Ha, my back, arms, legs, knees all ache tonight. Walking on the flat is one thing, walking on uneven farm fields is another. I think fatigue is one of the reason I get noisier walking the longer the night goes on. Each gate/fence seems to go a foot every hour during the night too haha.

I found the yellow filter worked well, I was picking up eyes no problem, but the rabbits were just spooked. The rabbits here are getting chased 3-4 nights a week, so they don't like ANY light. Mac red lamp works well and mine is on order from China too, see if it makes any difference. For sure, I'll need it as the nights draw in.

Yeah this time next year, I might be bagging more than the old man.....(Who by the way, was hacking his guts up and scaring the rabbits off enough last night too! Don't be thinking he is twinkle toes haha) :whistling::angel:

• Like 1

You did loads of things wrong last night, well when i walked around with you eny way most of what i have shown you over the last few weeks you must have thrown out the window of your car on the way to the farm 1.you need to be silent when staking 2,you were taking to long to take the shot giving the target time to move or run off 3,YOU NEED TO LEARN THE YARD,ISH AND STORE IT IN YOUR HEAD it works ,well for me it dose 4,STOP TELLING ME THERE IS A RABBIT OR PIGEON i told you last night at the start i don't take eny shit if you don't shoot I WILL 5, you told me last night that you feel your letting me down WELL YOUR NOT MATE and i mean YOU ARE NOT your turning into a proper hunter and every thing that ,that brings with it WE ALL MISS EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US and WE ALL HAVE BAD NIGHTS i shood know iv had plenty of them and still plenty to come to its all part of hunting ,i missed two sitters last night i was to confer-dent as i squeezed the trigger but missed it happens to us all don't feel bad just say O well ill get you next time and move on and most of all don't let it get to you as that can throw you off to don't try to hard as that can to just take a step back calm down and move on atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Bloody will get them next time!

• Like 1

Bloody will get them next time!

Not if im there !lol

• Like 2

if you listen to mac and sean mate you wont go wrong bothe top hunters and respected members im glad to have them as mates

You and me both mate, two very funny, very kind and big hearted guys. I'm sure they'll get me into all sorts of trouble :angel: and give me plenty kicks up the arse when I need it too! It's like being back at school again. :D

• Like 1

HAHA, Mac, you need to work on your feedback methods and constructive critisism haha - good job I have thick skin and can take it on the chin haha. :icon_redface::icon_redface:

• Like 1

As much as it annoys you [BANNED TEXT] your missing. It's nice to read a REAL hunters log for a change, too many magazine articles out there with 150 rabbits in an hour of going down, this is more what I like to read, the learning.... Because that's what we are always doing no matter how good you are, everyone has bad days mate and take comfort from that fact,

A little help on the stalking front, I stalk rabbits by a simple rule, if u can't see it he PROBABLY can't see u, what you have to remember is if ur peering over a hedge etc etc the rabbits sees your forehead (some larger than others :p) before u see the quarry with your eyes, so something to bear in mind, same as crawling if ur heads as low as it can be, your backs ups on show.

If a rabbit stops with its ear up, just lie there don't keep checking if he's gone down, if you have been crawling you could probably do with the rest anyway, patience is the key, u have all night/day etc etc

It takes a long time to start getting confident, but it will come!

Atb craig

• Like 4

As much as it annoys you [bANNED TEXT] your missing. It's nice to read a REAL hunters log for a change, too many magazine articles out there with 150 rabbits in an hour of going down, this is more what I like to read, the learning.... Because that's what we are always doing no matter how good you are, everyone has bad days mate and take comfort from that fact,

A little help on the stalking front, I stalk rabbits by a simple rule, if u can't see it he PROBABLY can't see u, what you have to remember is if ur peering over a hedge etc etc the rabbits sees your forehead (some larger than others :p) before u see the quarry with your eyes, so something to bear in mind, same as crawling if ur heads as low as it can be, your backs ups on show.

If a rabbit stops with its ear up, just lie there don't keep checking if he's gone down, if you have been crawling you could probably do with the rest anyway, patience is the key, u have all night/day etc etc

It takes a long time to start getting confident, but it will come!

Atb craig

Thanks Craig, that means a lot. You'll see I do love to spin a tale after a hunting trip, I love re-living the night and I try to have a bit of fun and not take stuff too seriously. I worry that the old soaks on here (as kind and nice as they have all been so far) will just think I'm an idiot trying to teach them how to suck eggs (as my late Mum would say). Clearly my misives are not aimed at them. I am pleased that my ramblings on here are finding someone interested in reading them, and also I know from PMs I have had, that there are 1-2 newbie hunters like me, that are picking up an odd tip here and there from all my mistakes and the great teaching I am getting from Bigmac and Vislauk.

With regards to your tips, thanks, duely noted and in the bank with the rest of them. I must admit to not wanting to go prone & crawl around when the ground is a bog as it has been the last 3-4 trips out. I don't want to be a fair weather hunter, but given the long nights out we have, neither do I want to be covered in mud, water and sheep cr@p for 7-8 hours haha. The last run out with Bigmac I was watchign him and shadowing him on some stalks, far more successfully than solo. I was watching the ears (the rabbits not his) and when they went up, Mac stopped still, and only moved again when the rabbit started eating. It took longer to get in shooting distance, but hell, at least we GOT into shooting distance. I'll be taking more time on the next trip and praying for dry ground so I can crawl without looking like a swap monster.

Thanks again sir. Good luck if you are out this weekend.

• Like 1

HAHA, Mac, you need to work on your feedback methods and constructive critisism haha - good job I have thick skin and can take it on the chin haha. :icon_redface::icon_redface:

I tell it as it is that's the way my dad and uncles showed me you have only been around with Sean(vislauk)once wait until he starts with you :whistling::whistling::whistling: ,you will want to cry :cray::cray::cray: by the time he is finished with you. I praise you when you do it right but pull you down when you don't its no good being nice to you all the time as you will not learn very much that's the way i am so all you new bees be WARNED if i take eny one els im no push over and ill pull you down before you can blink daz you shood of had more rabbits than me the other night YOU SHUD OF BEEN TOP DOG atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1