Morning All I Have An Ess

Depends on your dog and if it can put up with the noise and distraction without causing havoc if it is off lead. On lead all you have to worry about is if the dog can put up with the sound of shot and if it will be quiet if its kept at heel all day.

Spaniels are more up for anything than some breeds but they can still be overfaced by too much noise if they are too young. 18 months is a good age if they are steady but I know loads of people who take them earlier than that just not convinced its a good idea

The entering of a dog into the shooting environment can be defined by a few factors..1:The training structure the dog has undertaken.2: Breed 3: whether the dog has shown competence at it`s age to allow for entry to happen.

With all dogs i train,i never think for instance that this dog will be 12-16 or 18 months by the time shooting shooting season is upon us and that is my aim for it to be ready.

The breed of dog, and the "MOST" important point here is that ,your training structure and the dogs absorption determines when a dog is ready to work, and more importantly steady enough to shoot over.

In your case with a Spaniel,the most intelligent, in my opinion of all gundog breeds,the emphasis of that early training is imperative.Soo many people mistake a young Spaniels keenness as being not ready to be trained,it`s all about channeling that dogs zest for work in a positive direction.

A goal of 18 months for a Spaniel breed is very much achievable for wanting to sit to flush and shoot over.As again it`s all about the dog ticking the boxes as you go along with your training that determine your entry age...Never enter a dog that isn`t steady/ready no matter what the age..

Stick in.

Edited by camokev64

I took mine on the shoot for the first time at 20 months, had a few good days out beating with her doing exactly as she was told despite the hustle and bustle of a shoot environment. Considering i bred her and put the training in to the best of my knowledge i was slightly chuffed :yes:

Then after when i started back at the beach she started chasing the wading birds the little sod...sorted now and ready for a full season with her at 30 months old :thumbs:

The entering of a dog into the shooting environment can be defined by a few factors..1:The training structure the dog has undertaken.2: Breed 3: whether the dog has shown competence at it`s age to allow for entry to happen.

With all dogs i train,i never think for instance that this dog will be 12-16 or 18 months by the time shooting shooting season is upon us and that is my aim for it to be ready.

The breed of dog, and the "MOST" important point here is that ,your training structure and the dogs absorption determines when a dog is ready to work, and more importantly steady enough to shoot over.

In your case with a Spaniel,the most intelligent, in my opinion of all gundog breeds,the emphasis of that early training is imperative.Soo many people mistake a young Spaniels keenness as being not ready to be trained,it`s all about channeling that dogs zest for work in a positive direction.

A goal of 18 months for a Spaniel breed is very much achievable for wanting to sit to flush and shoot over.As again it`s all about the dog ticking the boxes as you go along with your training that determine your entry age...Never enter a dog that isn`t steady/ready no matter what the age..

Stick in.

I like reading your posts, no idea who you are but you have obviously done a good bit.

Just wondering why you think the spaniel is the most intelligent gundog, I've never heard anyone say that before?

Cheers

Hi Lab,

And i am a predominant Lab man myself...The reason for my findings is that i find that the Spaniel breed has a very fast knack of grasping it`s training structure from an early age...some thing that i have not noticed with the Labs..for example this year, i trained a Cocker and her entry age on a formal field trial training day was 10 months ( she was ready for it ).She sat on flush/shot,sat quietly/steady while the Labs where sent for the retrieves and walked to heal when switched with another spaniel when being given a breather.

But that is not to say that i have not known Labs being entered at an early age ( many years ago,if my memory serves me right a Lab made the Championships at 14 months ) ,but the breed more dictates a later age more often than not.

I even had the good fortune to compete in a trial were Grouse were shot over pointers and setters,my observations where interesting...

One thing i ain`t is a master of dog training.I write on here not to be clever but to try and help other lads to avoid the pitfalls that i have experienced.I`ve worked various breeds of dogs for 35 years,always learning along the way,and whole heartedly have never read a gundog book.

I just love to see the different breeds excell in their own fields..

Regards..

Edited by camokev64

Labs take ages to get right, its important to get them away from the fireplace now and again and get its head out of the feed bag.I have seen them used successfully on shoot trailers to give a bit weight to the rear axel on soft ground

:D

It isn't true Ruby, I work a labradoodle dog and I love labs I fancied an HPR this time round as I have access to train and work on a grouse moor and I want to trial this young vizsla but when the old dog eventually goes he will be replaced with a lab or another doodle (If the lab bitch is a working lab)

It isn't true Ruby, I work a labradoodle dog and I love labs I fancied an HPR this time round as I have access to train and work on a grouse moor and I want to trial this young vizsla but when the old dog eventually goes he will be replaced with a lab or another doodle (If the lab bitch is a working lab)

Aye i must admit i do like seeing the Labs work :victory:

Hi Lab,

And i am a predominant Lab man myself...The reason for my findings is that i find that the Spaniel breed has a very fast knack of grasping it`s training structure from an early age...some thing that i have not noticed with the Labs..for example this year, i trained a Cocker and her entry age on a formal field trial training day was 10 months ( she was ready for it ).She sat on flush/shot,sat quietly/steady while the Labs where sent for the retrieves and walked to heal when switched with another spaniel when being given a breather.

But that is not to say that i have not known Labs being entered at an early age ( many years ago,if my memory serves me right a Lab made the Championships at 14 months ) ,but the breed more dictates a later age more often than not.

I even had the good fortune to compete in a trial were Grouse were shot over pointers and setters,my observations where interesting...

One thing i ain`t is a master of dog training.I write on here not to be clever but to try and help other lads to avoid the pitfalls that i have experienced.I`ve worked various breeds of dogs for 35 years,always learning along the way,and whole heartedly have never read a gundog book.

Regards..

Your quite entitled to your opinion mate......as i read it lots of stuff you write i wholeheartedly agree with. I'm not into the trialling stuff myself, i pick up and beat with my dogs and as you know the dogs are worlds apart in there chosen fields.

Ive never read a gundog book either, flicked through the odd one but i tend to do my own thing as well as listening to others who have done a good bit. Ive been very lucky with the first dog i have ever properly owned myself.......not so lucky with my pups but its my doing and not theres. I'm sure i'll still be learning 35 years down the road as well... :thumbs:

I started my first ess bitch at 10 months thinking she was fully trained and put her In F/T tests and found that she still had areas that needed finishing and kepted her back till she was 18 months old and did a little picking up till she was over 2yrs old. From this I have found that theres no need to rush them till her 100% in everyway or it will cause problem or you look like a div infront of the keeper if your dogs running in on the drives. If your not shore about your ess Lab I would take her to a pro trainer for a couple of lessons, theres a good couple up your way.

michael

Hi Lab,

Regards..

Your quite entitled to your opinion mate......as i read it lots of stuff you write i wholeheartedly agree with. I'm not into the trialling stuff myself, i pick up and beat with my dogs and as you know the dogs are worlds apart in there chosen fields.

Ive never read a gundog book either, flicked through the odd one but i tend to do my own thing as well as listening to others who have done a good bit. Ive been very lucky with the first dog i have ever properly owned myself.......not so lucky with my pups but its my doing and not theres. I'm sure i'll still be learning 35 years down the road as well... :thumbs:

Cheers Lab,

All trialing dogs are in my opinion,are working dogs with a bit more polish..Every working gundog owner has a duty to make sure that they control their dog as not to cause some - body else to have their day ruined..Believe me i get about on quite a few shoots and see some atrocious handler behaviour ( Yes the owners not dogs fault ).

Good dogs are born "as i`ve said before" and with good training become Ftch`s or working dogs to be proud of....but i must admit i`m in a privileged position, in that i train among the countries top dog handlers,so see lots of the Ftch`s in yours pedigree`s in action...

I know how you feel regarding pups/dogs not turning out how you expect them...but strive for perfection ...i look back, and think some times what a dull f@*#~>r i must be.For instance, when a training session does not go right,i`m out the next day,first thing, correcting correcting correcting....but i am dedicated....

Good luck picking up / beating this season and stick in...