Air Rifle Experience Counted Towards Fac

Hi all!

I posted a month or so back about my brother's old shotgun certificate. I think we've got it sorted now. I've got some more questions for you now if you don't mind.

I live on a farm that's a few hundred acres. We've got plenty of rabbits and foxes, as well as way too many pigeons! Up until now I've been dealing with the pigeons with a .22 air rifle since I can shoot them in the sheds with this gun, but now they're more than I can handle. I need something else to get rid of them with, as well as the rest of the vermin on the land. Plus, I really enjoy shooting!

Obviously a shotgun would be better for the pigeons, but I don't really have any experience shooting them, and a rifle would better for rabbits and foxes. I've got years of experience with my .22 air rifle, and I'm a great shot so I would feel much more comfortable dispatching vermin with that.

So my question is, should I go for a FAC initially for a .22LR rifle? I understand they ask your shooting experience in an interview and I don't want to lie. Would my air rifle experience be adequate? With this FAC would I then be able to add a shotgun to this certificate later if I wanted one, or do I also need an SGC to own a shotgun?

Thanks very much for you help in advance, looking forward to your responses! :)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At guess the bullet flight time to 1300yds would be 3-4 seconds a lot can happen in that time those of experience will tell of missed fox etc that moved at the critical time and caused a miss and tha

The fact is that it does not matter what calibre you are using, no stalker on the hill is going to suggest you take shots at over 300 yards, and then quite rarely, it simply is not cricket old boy an

The fact is this if your fieldcraft (not meaning you Alsone) is so shite that you cant get to within 200-300 yards of a deer, and hopefully a lot closer, then pack in stalking and take up golf, you do

I would apply for both an FAC and SGC at the same time, which if done together is £60.

You don't need to have previous experience or a reason to obtain a shotgun certificate so that's out of the way, with the FAC, you have the land to shoot on and "Good Reason" to possess a firearm capable of dispatching rabbits, pigeons and foxes. Experience is not a prerequisite of being granted an FAC but it obviously helps, ultimately if you have the land and reason, they cannot refuse you, unless there are secondary issues about your suitability of course.

Calibres, well Shotgun in 12 bore, .22LR and a .223. Personal opinion of course ;)

SS :thumbs:

That is exactly what I would do mate, apply for both at the same time,although I might change the .223 to .22-250 but again just opinion, both your licenses would then run out and need renewing at the same time, be honest and let the feo see that you have a good sound knowledge of safe shooting practice, IE safe backstops ect and you should be fine, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the detailed responses guys. Would you say it's more difficult to get both granted at once or is it more the merit of my application?

I guess I'll ask for advice on a rifle and shotgun if/when I get my application granted. I've got a few questions about a gun cabinet though. Is there one you would recommend? I think 3 guns would more than suit me for a start, since I'll keep my air-rifle in there to be on the safe side. If you guys have recommendations on which cabinet to go for, I'd appreciate it. One problem is I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get the gun inside a fitted wardrobe since this old farmhouse doesn't have any! Would an upstairs bedroom (occupied by me) be sufficient do you think?

Thanks again! :)

Just buy an approved cabinet, they all do the same job,but I would buy a five gun one mate as you will be thankful of the extra space even if you don't buy any more guns, no more difficult to get them both than one at a time mate, your bedroom will be fine just make sure its bolted to a strong wall and out of sight of callers, buy a cabinet that has a separate locking drawer, as you will be aware that an a firearm, as apposed to a shotgun must have its ammunition locked in a separate box, this will save you shelling out for another box to be bolted to the wall, and trust me on the .22-250 mate :thumbs:

Hi Lordecon,

I'm currently going for my SGC with the GMP and I've been advised by both the RFD and the FEO to get a Brattonsound gun safe as they are the ones that FEO are happy with and the ones they consider to be the "best". In the end I went for Brattonsound Sentinel + 5 gun safe. This one has both the lockable ammo box at the top and is deep so you dont have to take your scopes off each time you put your gun to bed :D

I also had a good chat with the FEO over the phone to ask about where best to put my safe, he told me good places were the loft, basement or bedroom. But that they have to be a fixed to the main structure of the house. The biggest problem I have is that my home is a pre-40's house so I have good strong wall's but not one of them is plum :huh: so I may have to have a rather difficult conversation with the FEO about if I need to fill behind the safe.

Let us know how you get on anyway,

Lauben

• Like 1

Hi Lordecon,

I'm currently going for my SGC with the GMP and I've been advised by both the RFD and the FEO to get a Brattonsound gun safe as they are the ones that FEO are happy with and the ones they consider to be the "best". In the end I went for Brattonsound Sentinel + 5 gun safe. This one has both the lockable ammo box at the top and is deep so you dont have to take your scopes off each time you put your gun to bed :D

I also had a good chat with the FEO over the phone to ask about where best to put my safe, he told me good places were the loft, basement or bedroom. But that they have to be a fixed to the main structure of the house. The biggest problem I have is that my home is a pre-40's house so I have good strong wall's but not one of them is plum :huh: so I may have to have a rather difficult conversation with the FEO about if I need to fill behind the safe.

Let us know how you get on anyway,

Lauben

Quite surprised they have mentioned the loft at all, the trend was certainly against it because of the inaccesible nature of most lofts, people might be deterred from putting their guns away when coming home tired.

Interesting.

With the walls not being plumb, best advice would be to try and conceal it in a wardrobe or something to give it an added layer of security. Cabinets like the Brattonsound are designed to be "20 minute proof" from potential thieves who know what they're doing. Just something to bear in mind.

Sporting Shooter, I asked about that and was told that as long as the loft had a suitable access and ladder then this was the preferred location for my FEO's as in there words "most thieving scumbags are too stupid to look in the loft, they just what they can grab and go". Having said this, I fully agree that no safe or security control is going to dispel an attacker who either knows that they are doing, or is determined and has time.

I'm waiting my phone call to tell me when the FEO is coming, so once they have been I will update.

Lauben

Bratton....... Cabinet all the way!

Plenty of room on the rifle ones so no scope removing and can fit in a few no probs.

Only thing i dont like is that they recommend you get the door opening to the other side to make it difficult to access!

Mine opens wrong way for where it is and its an arse to get into without banging my arm, hand ,head to see into top part.

lol

Many thanks for your responses guys, will go with a Bratton cabinet.

I have another question I've just thought of if you don't mind.

One of my parents took their own life 5 years ago (not with a firearm). Do you think this might affect my application? I myself wasn't diagnosed with any mental illness following the incident. It was just something I thought of just now, so thought I would ask. :)