What Age Do You Start Working Ferrets

Hi, I'm new here. I don't actually have any ferrets. I've actually invented my own sport which I call Minkenry. I train mink to hunt, and since no one else does that I gather information from various sources like falconers and dog trainers and find ways to change their methods to fit what I do with mink. So basically I'd love to add the expertise of ferreters to my group of friends who help me figure out the best ways to do this little sport I've invented.

So what I would like to know is what is the best age to start a ferret? When do you guys first start working them on rabbits? And if there is anyone out there who also ferrets rats, how old do you start a ferret on rats? I've been told that many successful ferreters who work rats start their ferrets on rabbits first to give them some confidence, and then they switch to rats when the ferret is more experienced and mature. Do you do the same with your new ferrets, or is starting the ferret on rabbits really that necessary?

Also, is there any special training you give your ferrets before you put down it's first hole? If so, when do you start that training and what are the steps?

Thanks to anyone who replies. Your comments and tidbits on how you train ferrets might give me some ideas that I can reply on my mink. And if not, at least I've learned something new and interesting :-) Thanks for your help!

The opinions on when to start working them varies on this site. Personally I wait until they are about 7/8 months old and stick to small holes for a while until they are more confident. No training really, just rely on their instinct to hunt. Giving them tubes to play in helps build confidence to go down rabbit holes and getting them used to wearing a collar is about all i do training wise, if you can call it training.

Interesting. So in your guy's opinions a ferret doesn't really grow up until it's around 8 months old?

You say, "The opinions on when to start working them varies on this site." What is the approximate range of opinions as to how young a ferret should be started? Currently from the opinions expressed the youngest recommended age is 7 months, and the oldest is 1 year. Are there those who like to start them younger than 7 months, or others that you know of who start them even older than a year?

What typically happens if you start a ferret too young? Do they just not hunt well so it's a waist of your time, or do you run the risk of the ferret having a bad experience and breaking it's confidence, thus making it overly cautious later in life?

Thanks again for your help! This is all very interesting to me, because your ages for starting ferrets is so drastically different than what I do with mink. It makes me second guess about how quickly I expect my mink to grow up. Keep the comments and opinions coming! This is great information for me to think about!

Ferrets don't need much in the way of training, they are a domesticated animal which has been bred for 1000's of years to go down a hole and bolt rabbits, it comes perfectly naturally. Like in any working animal, this trait is stronger in some than in others, so some will take to it quicky, others will take longer. Most lads start them off at some point over the first autumn/winter after they are born so their age will all depend on what time over the summer they were born. Ferrets reach their adult size quite quickly and grow at different rates, and most people I know will wait until they reach their full adult size before they start. So as you can see from that, there is no time limit or certain age set in stone when it comes to starting your young ferrets off, the simple answer is they are ready to be started when they're ready and the conditions are ready! :D:thumbs:

• 10 years later...

I am based in South Africa KZN and intend to embark on a venture with my ferrets to eradicate a rat infestation I am hoping for advice on how to release and retrieve once the job is done. I am working with conservation and need to present a presentation of proposal on how I intend to manage the hunt.  We have a lot of legislation around them getting into the eco system and need to be sure I can control the situation.