Introducing To Gun Shot

I don't know how others do it. But we introduce gunfire during their first three months. Starting with a cap pistol at a distance, and closing in as we progress. Giving the pup something good to relate to gunfire is a very good idea. A harnessed pigeon, or a domestic rabbit that it can chase, and as it catches fire off the cap gun. Then .22 cal, then a smaller shotgun. Gradually move closer until you are in realistic shooting distance. Over here we get so many fire works, and random shooting. That pups, even my Lurcher never have any trouble with steadyness to gunfire.

But if you do encounter any signs of timidity, go rest a week, and go back to the last distance where the pup was comfortable. Then proceed again.

Good luck!

I use the air rifle & just get someone to throw an object for pup to run to ie,sock glove rabbit fur pigeon wing etc and fuss the pup up it then associates the firing stick as fun! then later on 4-5 months I take out over fields when a mate is pigeon shooting & just hang a good distance back always watching pups reactions to gun fire & proceed from there as is necessary-billy ps never rush things as a gun shy dog is hard to remedy

I didn't bother until the pup was ready, 6 months for the labradoodle and about 11 months for the vizsla. you know your dog judge it by its resilience. I used the moderated 410 at 40 yards then the 12 bore at 100 yards moving closer over time. used the starter pistol to drop to shot for the labradoodle but the vizsla drops to the flush so it negates the need

Cheers for your advice lads I took the bull by the horns

and introduced to shot today my pup is an eleven month

Old springer I took him to a bit of permission I have

Shooting on let him get out in front around twenty feet

Gave a blast on the stop whistle fired the starting pistol

then threw a rabbit skin dummy happy to say no problems at as

all did this another twice during my time out and all went

well.