A Strange Question

not sure if this is the right place for this. anyway does anyone thing it would be possible to train a pure collie to go after rabbits and still be a useful dog for moving sheep? as i have the possiblility of a collie pup out of 2 really fast dogs but i want to work it sheep and am wondering could i train it to hunt rabbits aswell or would it have a tendancy to be to savage for sheep?

not sure if this is the right place for this. anyway does anyone thing it would be possible to train a pure collie to go after rabbits and still be a useful dog for moving sheep? as i have the possiblility of a collie pup out of 2 really fast dogs but i want to work it sheep and am wondering could i train it to hunt rabbits aswell or would it have a tendancy to be to savage for sheep?

dead on pal work away another anti

• Like 1

what do you mean by this?

its simple is everyone on this forum that has a dog working rabbits got a sheep worrier on there hands

Basically what he is suggesting is that you're a bunny hugging opponent of everything we hold dear...and that you have come on here with infiltration in mind...you're intention is to solicit confessions of the most awful crimes against wildlife...admissions of dog fighting as well as penetrative sex with badgers...and oral sex with otters......and then to use them against us in an attempt to secure spurious convictions... :laugh:

Personally I don't believe it.... :thumbs:

I reckon by your post sheep are your thing.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 10

most farm collies will work do there job an kill rabbits on the land if there are any. but they dont come home an kneck the family cat just because they have killed a rabbit ..

Edited by Banter
  • Like 1

Basically what he is suggesting is that you're a bunny hugging opponent of everything we hold dear...and that you have come on here with infiltration in mind...you're intention is to solicit confessions of the most awful crimes against wildlife...admissions of dog fighting as well as penetrative sex with badgers...and oral sex with otters......and then to use them against us in an attempt to secure spurious convictions... :laugh:

haha looked at my location and went must be into sheep more like :tongue2:

and well yes sheep are my thing but i also enjoy watching dogs on rabbits and would like my own but sadly dont have endless suplies of cash as not all farmers are rolling in money wanted a dual purpose dog and sorry banter if you though i was an anti i shoot a fish and i want to get into doing a bit with dogs and try long netting

haha looked at my location and went must be into sheep more like :tongue2:

and well yes sheep are my thing but i also enjoy watching dogs on rabbits and would like my own but sadly dont have endless suplies of cash as not all farmers are rolling in money wanted a dual purpose dog and sorry banter if you though i was an anti i shoot a fish and i want to get into doing a bit with dogs and try long netting

maybe you should reword your strange question savage dogs need pts

Okay...I worked as a hill shepherd for a long time...I have in the past hunted collies and collie curs to a wide range of quarry including rabbits, hares foxes and deer. They were effective both in the daytime and on the lamp... :thumbs:

Good luck and keep us posted.....

• Like 2

We kept two collies for sheep and I hunted and ferreted with them. It worked out fine. But I think i'd probably get the sheep based training in first and then turn them on to hunting? I can see potential training problems if you tried it the other way around or along side each other. Maybe i'm wrong though.

• Like 1

We kept two collies for sheep and I hunted and ferreted with them. It worked out fine. But I think i'd probably get the sheep based training in first and then turn them on to hunting? I can see potential training problems if you tried it the other way around or along side each other. Maybe i'm wrong though.

that was the way around i was thinking as being a dog for sheep is the main priorate for me