After my last effort i have been on the lookout for a suitable smoker cabinet. I found an old lockable twin skinned drug cabinet that came out of an old folks home.

Obviously no keys, nor any drugs! but its just what i have been after.

A couple of hours in the workshop in an effort to turn it into a working smoker cabinet i could trial with and hopefully work out any problems, without spending too much time and more importantly, money!

Firstly i set the whole thing on fire to remove any paint and nasties.

I cut the door in half and bolted up the bottom section and sealed the joints with fire rope. Drilled out the bottom and installed an adjustable baffle, which regulates the amount of smoke going in to the cabinet and also stops any direct flame.

Bodged up the door and again installed a gasket and makeshift door locks.

Vent in the top which is adjustable.

Still in two minds as to how im eventually going to heat the smoker but for now a makeshift fire did the job.

Elm and cherry wood and the jobs a good one, but i will experiment more after a few refinements are made.

Pleased for the first effort.

null_zps831cbc07.jpg

null_zps30a456e3.jpg

Im looking for an in built temp guage, not a meat probe and any recipies for rubs and baisting.

Also any reccomendations on wood choices for smoking and flavour and why?, not chips or shavings, as it will be the primary heat source in the fire pit.

What woods go with what game? Or do they go at all?

On the test smoke we did spicy cajun rubbed pork and herbed honey rubbed chicken, both could have done with a smother after coming out of the smoker whilst resting, the flavours went well though.

Come on, what have you got :thumbs:

thats awesome work ive always fancied making a smoker but i was always thinking of a cold smoker instead of ot

The cabinet can be used as a cold smoker. It just needs a separate smoking source away from the cabinet and piping up.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

That rope insulation around the door looks like the Asbestos rope we find on old electrical switchgear doors.

Be careful buddy !

It is commercial grade stuff we use to insulate oven doors within the food industry :thumbs:

http://www.coldsmoking.co.uk/choosingwood.htm

List of woods on there mate ;)

Have you tried hot and cold smoking?

I was looking at just making a cold smoker to start with.

Thanks for the list.

I haven't got round to cold smoking yet but it's a project underway.

I'm sure there is some info in my mk1 thread someone kindly put up.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.