Purchase Advice Please

About to get a new (to me) HMR and I have the following choice

1) 5 yr old (allegedly 200 shots fired) cz 452 with boyds thumbhole stock and sak mod with 50 rounds of ammo for £320 collected

2) 6 month old (allegedly 50 rounds fired) cz 455 thumbhole stock, bipod, 400 rounds for £400 (inc their rfd transfer) plus 25 rfd cost at my end.

Which would you go for and why. Money is not unlimited so is a factor!

I would go with the 455. It has a bipod on it and 400 rounds. So for 100 pound extra you are completely ready plus a much younger weapon. But the most important is: Which one do you like most? You need to buy a gun you feel good about.

Gr Jacco

witch ever gun you like the best and feels good when you hold it. I have a 452 without the thumbhole and I cant fault the gun in any way I love it. it feels good when I shoot it and its light witch is a big plus if your like me and you do a lot of walking with your gun.

I think I'd wait on for something nearly new - perhaps hunt around gun dealers as most will deliver it to a ddealer near you for a small fee from each end.

My concern with a 5 year old rifle (as opposed to a shotgun) is the claim that its only had a few hundred down the barrel seems ulikely due to the ammo allowance - most people have permission for 500 or 1,000 rounds on their certificate per year. Usually if you don't use your allowance, the police reduce the size of the allocation so assuming the seller didn't have his allowance reduced, and most shooters don't allow this to happen as then next on the agenda is you're not showing good reason, its fair to bet that a 5 year old gun has had at least almost 5x500 rounds = 2,500 rounds down the barrel.

It might be that this is a rare case where the guy had a small allocation or a reduced allocation.

However, personally, I'd wait for something 6 months or a year old as there a limit then to what could have gone down the barrel because even a 1,000 yearly limit, if all shot off makes a max of 1,000 rounds and usually if the gun is nearly new, then the person had a reason for selling it either because they didn't really use it enough or because they didn't like it. Either way, they're unlikely to have put many down the barrel.

i would buy a .22

Iv just had a .22 CZ, and frankly I'm massively disappointed.

It's not as silent as I was lead to believe. The accuracy is shit really.

My FAC Daystate has much much tighter groups at the same range and dispatches rabbits at the same range and up to 80 yards. And it is whisper silent.

Not impressed by it but I will persevere

i would buy a .22

Iv just had a .22 CZ, and frankly I'm massively disappointed.

It's not as silent as I was lead to believe. The accuracy is shit really.

My FAC Daystate has much much tighter groups at the same range and dispatches rabbits at the same range and up to 80 yards. And it is whisper silent.

Not impressed by it but I will persevere

Wrong or bad ammo or poor silencer.

My friend had a Sako Finfire with silencer (not sure which one) and with subs it was quieter than my silenced precharged air rifle! Literally all you heard was the noise if you blow air quickly through your mouth. I doubt it was 30db from point blank!

Put a HV up it though and it echoed round the valley!

Personally, unless noise is an issue and you need a near silent gun, I'd take a HMR. Flatter shooting, greater range and provided you headshoot, fine for the table.