Starting Out In Falconry

Mustelid

Hi,

I've had an interest in birds of prey for many years though as yet I've not looked into falconry until recently. The question I have is how much 'work' is required to keep a bird of prey? I have plenty of space to construct suitable living quarters and a six acre field at the back of the house. I also have plenty of permission.

I also keep ferrets, lurchers, spaniels and do a bit of fishing.... do you guys have involvement in other sports or does the falconry take all your spare time?

Thanks in advance.

it takes up a lot of time ,first find a good mentor who will help you no end,get lots of books and read as much as you can about the sport look at what sort of quarry is on your land then decide on the bird you like,good luck mate

• Like 2

Hi,

I've had an interest in birds of prey for many years though as yet I've not looked into falconry until recently. The question I have is how much 'work' is required to keep a bird of prey? I have plenty of space to construct suitable living quarters and a six acre field at the back of the house. I also have plenty of permission.

I also keep ferrets, lurchers, spaniels and do a bit of fishing.... do you guys have involvement in other sports or does the falconry take all your spare time?

Thanks in advance.

Takes up most of my season, very little time to do much else

during the season i dont get much time for any other hobby i give all the time i have to my harris hawk as i want her to be the best she can be and give her a good chance at doing that anything else isnt good good enough!! and you only get out what you put in!!

atb stu

• Like 2

I think my Harris hawk even if flown regularly will take up less time than working my lurcher did. The one thing that always seems to come out when talking of birds of prey is the time factor. There will be lurcherman and terriermen and hound men on this site that will spend more time out working their dogs than the average Harris hawker will.

ANY working animal or hunting/shooting/fishing sport can take up all of your spare time and all of your money lol and but as birds are put away for the moult they maybe give the owner more time in the summer to do other things than a pack of dogs would.

After reading books and looking on IFF for several years I think most falconers vastly underestimate the commitment other hobbies/ sports etc take. I won't have any time to do anything other than fly my hawk next season but Ive never had any time to do anything but the hunting in previous seasons.

• Like 2