First Time Out Me And The Dog

Full on dogs with loads of drive can usually benefit from tug training: forgot to mention that earlier! Thanks paulsmithy. Once again, tug play needs a set of rules put into place: don't just let the dog tug and go nuts without putting the framework in place first. I can send you the stuff I wrote about how to do this: just pm me your email address and I'll send the article off to you.

• Like 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Train recall recall and recall loads of praise on return and don't give him treats rag a toy with him for abit . Bulls type love this as a reward as it releases there drive so want to come back for th

Tell him to get that book: Total Recall by Pippa Mattinson. It is lengthy reading and goes into every detail, and a retraining programme for just about all recall problems. He needs to know that retr

I've just bought this book on Kindle purely out of curiosity. What I will say is that you need to have an enormous amount of patience, time and determination to put the programmes into place, as well

Sound job then, train recall like theres no tomorrow, no treats just toy (althought in a quarry free area he does come quite well to treat, even just me putting my hand in pocket). Ive got my book read when it gets here, homework time. If that fails shock collar, if that fails. Leave him snoozing on the sofa while i go out with a dog that listens. I will get some pics up later gaz. Cheers guys.

Sound job then, train recall like theres no tomorrow, no treats just toy (althought in a quarry free area he does come quite well to treat, even just me putting my hand in pocket). Ive got my book read when it gets here, homework time. If that fails shock collar, if that fails. Leave him snoozing on the sofa while i go out with a dog that listens. I will get some pics up later gaz. Cheers guys.

Reason treat no toy as toy release drive which it should have plenty off especially with with bull types. At all cost avoid treats if gonna work him later down line that causes more problems then its worth not just on recall . Sky cat will have that artical for you.

Cheers for putting the pics up gaz, i came by him just simply because i was after a pet dog saw him on gumtree off all places liked the look and temperment when i went to look and handed over £60. Since then ive had people asking what he is and never know till latley and thats why im giving him ago. Ive recived the article on tug toys had a brief read through befor tonights first proper training sension and it seems to fit with my dog, gives us that bond back that was kind off broken down with me being over strict because i never understood why he was so hard work. First day tho, to me has gone well. Ill keep you posted on progress

• Like 1

Got a very staffy head.

Might be worth you whistle training whilst starting from scratch, once a dog has learned to ignore a command it turns in to white noise for them, when starting afresh its recomended to change what you say with the recall, with the whistle you don't need to worry about tone of voice IE if your angry or anything like that the whistle is constant, also if the dog did bugger off after something your not shouting in the hope the dog can hear you.

• Like 1

If you get that recall book you'll see that it is pointless to continue using the same recall command as the one that the dog has learned to ignore. You have to start from complete beginning again using different commands.