First Time Out Me And The Dog

Hi, new to this but ive got a bull lurcher and thought its about time to see what he can do. Been out for a mooch this morning with member gaz_1989 just to see what he thinks of him as a dog. Turns out he needs alot of work, especialy on recall as he hunts up alot and just switches of to any command. So ive joined up on gaz's say so and after some advice for best off the lead training and get him focus more on me. Thanks.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Train recall recall and recall loads of praise on return and don't give him treats rag a toy with him for abit . Bulls type love this as a reward as it releases there drive so want to come back for th

Tell him to get that book: Total Recall by Pippa Mattinson. It is lengthy reading and goes into every detail, and a retraining programme for just about all recall problems. He needs to know that retr

I've just bought this book on Kindle purely out of curiosity. What I will say is that you need to have an enormous amount of patience, time and determination to put the programmes into place, as well

Hes just over 2, ive had him nearly a year. Hes never worked. Mainly been a pet but after going a few game fairs and chatting about him and seeing how he reacts to the odd rabbit we see on walks i want to give him ago at it properly.

Alright folks, I went school with Adam and he knew I worked my dogs and asked me to take him out.

The dog is about 2. He has had him for 12 months.

He is very bully, I would say only 1/4 running dog if that. Looks to be American bulldog in there.

He has got bags of prey drive but switches off the second his lead is unclipped.

He will return after 5-10 mins for a food reward and then run off again hunting up and running circles Etc.

There is obedience there, sit, stay etc but once he is released his nose goes down and that's it.

Ive told Adam to come on here as I know there are some good dog lads who know there stuff. I honestly don't know where to start.

I've told him to start with a long line and train the recall, first with food and then swap for a play reward like a tug toy etc.

I'm sure there are better people to give the lad advice than me though :thumbs:

Tell him to get that book: Total Recall by Pippa Mattinson. It is lengthy reading and goes into every detail, and a retraining programme for just about all recall problems. He needs to know that retraining a recall will take months and months. There's no quick fix for this problem, and unless he is prepared to really work at it he won't get anywhere.

• Like 3

Tell him to get that book: Total Recall by Pippa Mattinson. It is lengthy reading and goes into every detail, and a retraining programme for just about all recall problems. He needs to know that retraining a recall will take months and months. There's no quick fix for this problem, and unless he is prepared to really work at it he won't get anywhere.

Get this book Adam.

Skycat knows what's she's talking about :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply, me and gaz had a good chat about how lengthy the training could be, or even if it will ever be able to get to the standard required. But im willing put the effort in. Infact from ur post ive just ordered that book. Im very keen to get him sorted reguardless if he doesnt become the best hunter in the world it will make taking him out so much better if he comes on command.

I've just bought this book on Kindle purely out of curiosity. What I will say is that you need to have an enormous amount of patience, time and determination to put the programmes into place, as well as long term commitment. I'm sure that there will be people who have achieved the same level of recall using a shock collar, but the ones that succeed with collars really know what they are doing, have a huge amount of experience and the ability to read dogs as easily as if they were brushing their teeth. Only years and years of experience give someone that ability, plus the split second timing necessary to operate the things and not to make things a whole lot worse.

From my own experience, the dog that has never really learned a recall, which sounds a bit like yours, and hunts hard using its nose, will be a real challenge: to turn the dog around so it realises that humans do have some value will be an ongoing, lifelong task, but if you succeed, you'll have a dog which you can truly call a partner in the field. Good luck!

It's so much easier to get a pup in the first place :laugh:

• Like 1

Ok, so sounds like ive got my work cut out even if at all possible. Im going give it a good go tho it would be ideal to use him for what hes made for and seems to enjoy. If all else fails tho ill keep him as a pet like he has been to me up to yet because im to attached and ill just get a pup and keep it as a worker i think to train from day dot.

Train recall recall and recall loads of praise on return and don't give him treats rag a toy with him for abit . Bulls type love this as a reward as it releases there drive so want to come back for this reward. Don't take him were there's a breath of quarry find somewhere blank of quarry to train him. Then when the hunting season his first few times being shown game should be by ferreting no hunting up let gaz's dog mark and let him see bolters and slowly realise by staying close to you is where the action is. Then start having him off lead when ferreting again he should learn where you are is where the bunnies are and most importantly installs in his head you are part of the hunting team and hopegully think you supply him with the rabbits and work. With recall and this entry weather game around or not recall should be spot on

• Like 5

My parents re homed a bull lurcher dog was a nightmare :censored:

No recall and stock worring - actually pulling sheep all over feilds - worst thing I ever have seen ..

They put a shock collar on it and it was cured.

I know so many people disagree with them and think folk are lazy for using them.. I belive if used correctly and using positive rewards in correlation the dog learns quickly.. You dont have to blast them to the point of frying.. You can use the noise function which they respond to.

Each to there own and all that but you may find useful vids on you tube with searches like PAC and Sportdog Collars..

I would all so consider puppy classes going back to basics.. Professional ( mabie :laugh: ) adivce on hand. Dog learning to listen and preform tasks while there are lots of other distractions going on around them.

What if you decide, I hope you get the results you want :victory:

• Like 1