Marlin Xt17Vr

hea lads i'm trading my cz 452 lux .22 wmr for a .17 hmr. i'm leaning toward the marlin xt17vr does anyone have one and whats your views on the gun. some people say im mad to chang to a .17 hmr but iv had both and prefer the .17. thanks

Wait on a month or two and see what .17 WSM (Winchester Super Magum) has to offer as you may find its better than .17 HMR. Its supposed to be quieter yet ahs performance near that of .22 Hornet centre fire. Still waiting on a release though. Believed to be in the next month or so.

Plenty of vids on Youtube.

Buy a .22 hornet mate, far superior performance to any rimfire, and if you reload it very cheap to run.

I don't reload but I know a couple of lads that did and gave it up because they said the gun powder was too hard to get around here. for buying .22 hornet rounds in Ireland its some thing like 50 euro for 30 or 35 rounds, a bit too expensive for me. I will either go for a .17hmr or a .17wsm depending on the price of the .17wsm rounds. tanx

Wait on a month or two and see what .17 WSM (Winchester Super Magum) has to offer as you may find its better than .17 HMR. Its supposed to be quieter yet ahs performance near that of .22 Hornet centre fire. Still waiting on a release though. Believed to be in the next month or so.

that might be the way i'll go, can you tell me how much the .17wsm rounds are and is there much of a difference between the .17wsm and the .17hornet or are they basically the same round?

that might be the way i'll go, can you tell me how much the .17wsm rounds are and is there much of a difference between the .17wsm and the .17hornet or are they basically the same round?

Performance of the .17 WSM is reported to be almost identical to .22 Hornet not .17 Hornet downrange!

Some ballistic tables in the 1st video below.

Round cost, not sure, but its rimfire and they're talking around 1/3rd the cost of the Hornet. In the US they're saying $15-20 per box of 50 so probably something similar in cost here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uno5EUyhH3c#!

Also a video test report on Guns and Ammo here:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/06/11/17-winchester-super-magnum/

Arguably not the most scientific test, 2 litre bottles, I know many would prefer ballistic gel, but I didn't do the tests and the difference in damage is clear to see.

Biggest advantage is going to be ammo cost compared to centrefire (unless you reload) and I also imagine the rifles will be much cheaper with rumoured costs of around £400 for the Savage B Mag.

Edited by Alsone

@ Alsone thanks very much for the info :thumbs: I did a little research my self on the .17wsm since you mentioned it yesterday and I think it might be for me. id hate to have got the .17hmr and a couple of munt's down the line wanted 1 of these anyway. thanks again for the info its much appreciated.

No problem.

Always best to keep your options open but if you're going the rimfire route, I reckon its worth waiting to see what transpires as .17hmr could be very much yesterdays calibre if these live up to the hype.

It potentially looks like an ideal low cost fox calibre or long range small vermin calibre.

Only issue I can see is if using these for rabbits for the table its going to be headshots all the way as its very clearly far more destructive than HMR looking at those bottles.

The data provided for the .17 nail gun compares a very very , pedestrian .22 hornet factory round to the .17 however if you compare decent factory ammo even , like hornady 35 grain vmax 35grain bullet @ 3100fps = 747 ftlbs compared to .17grain bullet @3000fps =339ftlbs and reloading can push it along even faster with a heavier bullet, so we can see that this super new rimfire is terribly exiting, but still only producing less than half of a decent .22 hornet load :cray: anyone who thinks that their rimfire whatever is going to perform like a centerfire, is simply deluding themselves, if you want a super fast .17 go for a rem .17fireball, .17hornet, or the daddy .17rem @ over 4000fps :thumbs:

@Alsone yes I tought my self the round would be far too much for rabbit so if I do go with the round and I think I will ill keep the .22wmr for that purpose.

@Charlie caller I understand its a RF and hasn't the power of a CF but what I want is a cheep foxing gun that I can pop of a few rabbits with too and I think this gun fits. the savage b mag is to be $300 - $350 so that comes in at under 400 euro and the ammo is to be $17 for 50 and that comes in at just over 19 euro for 50 and what I think is a big + with the b mag is it weighs under 4.5lbs which suits me as I do a lot off walking with my gun. thanks for the help lads.

Edited by alan81

The data provided for the .17 nail gun compares a very very , pedestrian .22 hornet factory round to the .17 however if you compare decent factory ammo even , like hornady 35 grain vmax 35grain bullet @ 3100fps = 747 ftlbs compared to .17grain bullet @3000fps =339ftlbs and reloading can push it along even faster with a heavier bullet, so we can see that this super new rimfire is terribly exiting, but still only producing less than half of a decent .22 hornet load :cray: anyone who thinks that their rimfire whatever is going to perform like a centerfire, is simply deluding themselves, if you want a super fast .17 go for a rem .17fireball, .17hornet, or the daddy .17rem @ over 4000fps :thumbs:

I know you're a big Hornet fan Charlie and trying to preserve the popularity of what is a slightly obscure cartridge but according to the Hornady Factory site for the .22 Hornet V-Max 35 gr:

- The .22 Hornet 35gr V-Max has 197 ft.lbs energy at 200 yards compared to 185 ft.lbs for the .17 WSM - so at 200 yards they're level pegging on energy.

- The .17 WSM has 2042 ft/s of velocity at 200 yards compared to 1,590 ft/s of the Vmax 35gr Hornet - so at 200 yards the .17WSM has approximately 500 ft/s more velocity.

It's only at muzzle to 100 yards that the Hornet outperforms the .17WSM on both velocity and energy.

- 150 yards isn't quoted so difficult to compare but I'd expect Hornet to win on energy given its much higher starting point and velocities of both to be similar from the 100 / 200 yard data.

From the trends in the tables at ranges in excess of 250 yards, it looks as if the .17wsm starts to edge it as its greater velocity potenatially retains more energy = it still has 150ft/lbs at 250 yards whereas the .22 Hornet has 99 ft/lbs at 300 yards. Given the .17 is a smaller calibre as is already 500 ft/s faster at 200 yards than the Hornet, you'd expect that velocity gap to increase with range.

All figures are subject to the accuracies of the tables quoted and all trends are my opion based on both those tables, and thus not necessarily fact.

Hornady .22 Hornet V-Max Data here: http://www.hornady.com/store/22-Hornet-35-gr-V-MAX/

Bullet drop wise .22 Hornet has -17.1 inches at 300 yards compared to only -7.2 inches for the .17 WSM at 250 yards plus the table figures show the .22 Hornet to be zero'ed at 200 yards compared to a 150 yard zero for the .17wsm. If the .17 WSM was zero'ed at 200 yards also, you'd expect the drop to be less still. So potentially the .17 WSM is much flatter shooting than the .22 Hornet. But you'd expect that from a smaller calibre as there's less wind resistance.

Not wishing to be rude therefore but I fail to see how the .22 Hornet outperforms the .17 WSM on those figures, at least as a long range calibre.

There's absolutely no doubt that below 150 yards the .22 Hornet outperforms the .17 WSM. However at range - they're very similar for energy at 200 yards with the wsm having more velocity and the .17WSM appears to outperform the Hornet at ranges over 250 yards with potentially similar or more energy at 300 yards but greater velocity and better trajectory.

Horses for courses but I'd say on those figures .22 Hornet wins for 150 yards or less. .17WSM for 200 yards +.

Even then for less than 150 yards, do you really need more than the wsm's terminal energy of 226-400ft/lbs (depending on the exact range) to kill a fox? I'd says its potentially a very good fox calibre for all ranges and potentially a new player in the longe range fox market where it seemingly outperforms the Hornet on both ballistics and with regards to ammo cost.

Edited by Alsone

I guess only way to find out would be to email Savage and ask when it will hit the Uk / Ireland.

An import UK to Ireland should be possible as they're both European Union, if it hits the UK 1st.

Only way to find out is ask.

Otherwise I guess its a HMR as an interim or a hornet as an alternative,

Well I hardly think the hornet is an obscure calibre, it has been around since the late 1800s in one guise or another, and thousands are in use all over the world,the problem (if you care to call it that)with the hornet is that factory ammo (generally) is rubbish and tends to be on the very low pressure/velocity side to accommodate some very OLD rifles in the chambering,so to get the best out of a modern hornet you must reload it,the vmax I quoted is a pretty good round and is certainly the best factory offering out there,however if you reload things get very interesting I have a load that will push a 45 grain bullet at damn near 3100fps, that's 960ftlbs or almost, almost 3 times the power of the super new .17 and a 45 grain bullet is vastly superior to a 35grain in terms of bullet co-efficient,and is not a hundred miles behind a .222 in terms of knockdown power,I agree that the new gun looks good on paper, TIME WILL TELL, but at the risk of repeating myself it is not and never will be a mach for a centerfire.