First Attempt At Micarta Catapult

How hard does it set, if that snapped with a set of double theraband golds on it would/could do you some serious damage!

You could possibly reinforce it by using a metal cut out in the middle ???

is that lots of layers of matereal glued together ,or just one with glass fiber packing it out? im sure its a daft question but im a bit confused

Layers of material....

Place the material in the jig...large 'blob' of resin rubbed in....next layer...etc....

Then clamped underneath a board and left for 24 hours :thumbs:

Guest scramble

could you not add a few more layers of resin? do what you've done but before the last coat drys add more, giving you more resin to play with when sanding going up the grits to get a smoother finish???

Not sure if that would work... i think the resin would just crack...

The outer edges...where only the resin was....cracked when touched....

I think the material acts as the fibre for bonding and strengthening....

Wont be making another anyway :laugh:

Just something else i can say 'ive tried'....along with the pipe catapult...and spatula catty :thumbs:

thats why i said do it before the other coats dried, this would allow it to bond to the material. how does Midnight make his micarta handles? always looks stunning once he's weaved his magic.

got to be happy with a first attempt though blue, as long as it dont fall apart and smash ya in the gob when you draw it back :laugh:

How hard does it set, if that snapped with a set of double theraband golds on it would/could do you some serious damage!

You could possibly reinforce it by using a metal cut out in the middle ???

It sets pretty tough :yes:

But this is a bit on the thin side...

I used 20 layers of camo material.... but once it was clamped.... it went to nothing.....

At a guess its 8mm thick....

Could do with it being atleast double that....

Couldnt possibly know how strong it is TBH...

but should be ok with a set of singles.... if i ever decide to band it :thumbs:

could you not add a few more layers of resin? do what you've done but before the last coat drys add more, giving you more resin to play with when sanding going up the grits to get a smoother finish???

Not sure if that would work... i think the resin would just crack...The outer edges...where only the resin was....cracked when touched....

Just something else i can say 'ive tried'....along with the pipe catapult...and spatula catty :thumbs:

thats why i said do it before the other coats dried, this would allow it to bond to the material. how does Midnight make his micarta handles? always looks stunning once he's weaved his magic.

got to be happy with a first attempt though blue, as long as it dont fall apart and smash ya in the gob when you draw it back :laugh:

Havent a clue how he does it :hmm: ...

I just seen a demo on youtube on how to make it....think its all generic how to make the micarta....

But id like to know how to actually finish it once sanded...

I just gave it another coat of resin..... maybe theres an alternative...

Not sure if that would work... i think the resin would just crack...The outer edges...where only the resin was....cracked when touched....

Havent a clue how he does it :hmm: ...

I just seen a demo on youtube on how to make it....think its all generic how to make the micarta....

But id like to know how to actually finish it once sanded...

I just gave it another coat of resin..... maybe theres an alternative...

When they make up GRP products it is normally from a mold. The mold is coated in gell coat the the glass and resin is applied when the gellcoat is still wet. Thats what gives GRP products the outside sheen and pigment is added to the gell coat to give it it's colour. However, there is another product that does the same as the gellcoat. This is called flow coat it is resin with waxes and pigment added to it. Any glass fibre roofing firm makes their own flow coat.

I have never seen flow coat without pigment in, but the pigment is just there to colour the resin and hide the glass sheeting, the wax in the resin makes the resin waterproof, as resin on it's own mixed with fibre is not waterproof. I have no doubt that a glass fibre roofing firm that sells flow coat would make you up a batch of colourless flow coat.

TC

To get your shine you will need a rubbing compound as TC said. T cut or similar. And polish it up with a soft cloth or mop wheel.

But again as scramble said you may need a thicker coat of resin.

Feck!! I feel like I have just repeated everything everyone has already said.

To get your shine you will need a rubbing compound as TC said. T cut or similar. And polish it up with a soft cloth or mop wheel.

But again as scramble said you may need a thicker coat of resin.

Feck!! I feel like I have just repeated everything everyone has already said.

You have ye daft cnut! :laugh:

• Like 1

Ask matt in the knife section sure i seen a handle of his done in that

I have spoken to matt regarding this....

Think he uses professional micarta...and not the homemade shite im working with :laugh: